Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dry Milk (alternative) Morning Moo

Quote Originally Posted by Texaslil View Post
    Me too, KittyKnits. I love that stuff. It's especially good for making chicken and dumplings. I use half a can in the chicken broth undiluted and the other half in the dumpling dough. For some reason it makes the dumplings slick and shiney and makes the dumplings hold their shape better. The milk in the broth makes for a lovely sauce. Very rich....almost like using whipping cream. Did you know it can be whipped like whipping cream if very cold?
    Good to know

Another canned milk fan, here.

I've cut way down on milk usage; I make my own granola and pop that into yogurt for cold cereal. I use chicken broth for mashed potatoes. But a little canned milk is nice for my coffee and on my oatmeal. A small can lasts a week. I like it better than powdered, which I generally have to make the night before for the best flavor, and sometimes I'm just not that organized.

The skimmed powdered milk is very workable if when you mix

1)it you get the right mix, (right ratio of milk/water)

2) make sure the water is ice cold

3)mix 50/50 with regular whole milk...or...some canned milk. Then, make sure you chill it well.
    As an American you have the right to not believe in guns. You also have the right to not believe in God. But if someone is trying to break into your home, or wants to harm you, the first thing you will do is pick up the phone and call someone with a gun. The second thing you will do is pray that they get there in time. ~Don Moore

We've been using powdered milk since 04 '2011 - as a just in case because of "Fukushima Radiation". We have all adjusted to it.

We like the LDS - it mixes well and quality seems good. We use it
    from the big huge bag on a monthly basis. We mylar bag/o2 absorbered
    for long term storage.

I'm also a big fan of canned milk. It's been a long time since buying regular milk at the grocery store. I do mix it 50/50 with water. It works just as well in all recipes, and will keep shelf stable for long term storage. I have read, though, that if you plan on keeping canned milk for long term, you should turn the cans upside down every 3 to 4 months, rotating them that way keeps the milk from separating in the cans.

Slight drift... how long past the exp. date do you think the canned milk is good for? I have opened a few cans near the expiration that seemed questionable. I would like to have more stored than I do.

JF

The case that I'm using out of right now has an expiration date of March 24 2010, and it's still good. I keep all my cases stored in a cool and dark room. So far, so good with having any of it to ruin.

When I read here that Nido has a 6 month expiration, I said we had better start using our older stock. Well we opened a large can that is 3 years old and while it is drinkable and hasn't made use sick, it doesn't taste very good at all. I do think it is because it is old as we tried a small can before we started stocking up on it and that tasted really good. I guess I can use the bad tasting ones for cooking or if desparate times come, we can handle the taste.