Thread: Crabapple jelly recipes, please!

Default Crabapple jelly recipes, please!

Last spring we put in a beautiful small crabapple tree that has given us a bucket full of large, tasty crabapples. I'd like to make crabapple jelly - preferably sugar-free.

Does anyone have a good recipe for crabapple jelly - Please....

Thanks in advance.
    ". . . for the time has come for you to awaken from your slumber. . . " Romans 13:11

The heck with making jelly; I heard if you slightly cook it up and let it drain; it makes lots of PECTIN. I think crabapple jelly would be quite sour unless you added honey, sugar or something to it. I had a tree at a former home, but never made anything from the apples.

When I was at a recent preparedness expo in Spokane, WA, a gal had a strainer sitting on her counter and she informed us it was crushed crabapples draining into another bowl. She uses it to make the rest of her jams during the season. I don't know if it keeps, but what a great idea when things go bad and you have a bunch of fruit and want to make jam and jelly!
    Don't wait to prep when there is an emergency - it's too late.

Some varieties of crab apples are as tasty and sweet as regular apples. Chestnut and Whitney come to mind.

I'd just use any regular apple jelly recipe.

grower is offline Tree of Liberty Contributor

Where we used to live, we had an ancient crab apple tree in the yard, and I made some wonderful crabapple jelly from it. I just used the recipe that came with the package of Sure-Jell. And I think they have sugar-free recipes, too.
    IF you are willing & obedient , you shall eat the good of the land: But if you refuse & rebel, You shall be devoured with the sword: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it. Isaiah 1:19, 20

Thanks, all. Maybe today or tomorrow ;)
    ". . . for the time has come for you to awaken from your slumber. . . " Romans 13:11