Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Natural dewormer for goats

grower is offline Tree of Liberty Contributor

Arrow Natural dewormer for goats

I was looking for hay on Craigslist, and saw this:

Sericea lespedeza hay - $3 (Red Boiling Springs, TN)

Date: 2011-09-03, 4:17PM CDT
    Reply to: sale-mttub-2580721951@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
    Sericea hay for sale, this is good goat quality hay, Sericea is a natural dewormer for goats and sheep. It might work well for other livestock too.
    3.00 per bale

615-388-2616

• it's ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Curious as to how healthy this hay would be for goats, I did a quick search online. I found out 2 things: Sericea lespedeza is considered a noxious, invasive weed in some Great Plains states, but Auburn University (Alabama) found that it is useful in helping control gastro-intestinal nematodes in goats (see paper below). Since I already considered lespedeza a good goat hay, I may get some and try it out this winter!

Sericea Lespedeza, an Anthelmintic Plant for Goats with Great
    Potential in Pasture Renovation and in Pure Stands
    J.A. Mosjidis1, T.H. Terrill2, S.A. Shaik2, J.E. Miller3,
    B. Kouakou2, and G. Kannan2
    Auburn University, Auburn, AL, USA
    Fort Valley State University, Fort Valley, GA, USA
    Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA, USA
    Infection with gastrointestinal nematodes (GIN), particularly Haemonchus contortus, is a major limiting
    factor to economic goat production in the southern USA. Recent reports (3)indicate that anthelmintic resistance
    in goats has become highly prevalent in the southern USA. Grazing forages high in tannins has been shown to
    reduce number of parasite eggs in sheep and goat feces in a number of studies (1,2).
    Research on the effect of sericea lespedeza forage on GIN in goats (2) has shown that animal grazing on
    sericea lespedeza alone or grazing on sericea lespedeza alternating every 2 weeks with fescue-crabgrass
    reduced total fecal egg output based on FEC (parasite eggs per gram of feces) and fecal output, rate of larva
    development (larvae per 10g of feces), and animal worm burden compared to those animal grazing on crabgrass
    alone. These results suggest that grazing a sericea lespedeza cultivar such as AU Grazer or including it in
    pasture renovation may result on reduced contamination of pastures from GIN larvae.
    The anthelmintic potential of sericea lespedeza hay was evaluated in an 8-week feeding trial with goats.
    After 3 weeks grazing, 20 yearling Spanish-cross does were moved to pens and fed either ground sericea or
    bermudagrass hay diets balanced for crude protein and energy with a small amount of supplement. All 20 does
    were fed the bermudagrass diet for a 1-week adjustment, after which 10 animals were switched to the sericea
    diet for 4 weeks (experimental period). All the does were then fed the bermudagrass for an additional 3 weeks.
    Throughout the trial, parasite eggs was determined weekly for each doe. Egg shedding (ES) was similar
    between the two groups during the 3-week adjustment period, significantly lower (P < 0.05) in sericea-fed goats
    during the 4-week experimental period, and not different during the 3-week post-trial period. Feeding sericea
    lespedeza hay to goats reduced nematode ES and may have potential to reduce pasture contamination from GIN
    larvae.
    1. Athanasiadou, S., I. Dyriazakis, F. Jackson, and R.L. Coop, 2000. Consequences of long-term feeding with
    condensed tannins on sheep parasitized with T. colubriformis. Int. J. Parasitol. 30:1025-1033.
    2. Min, B. R., W. E. Pomroy, S. P. Hart, T. Sahlu. 2004. The effect of short-term consumption of a forage
    containing condensed tannins on gastro-intestinal nematode parasite infections in grazing wether goats. Small
    Ruminant Res. 51:279-283.
    3. Mortensen, L.L., L.H. Williamson, T.H. Terrill, R.A. Kircher, M. Larsen, and R.M. Kaplan, 2003. Evaluation
    of prevalence and clinical implications of anthelmintic resistance in gastrointestinal nematodes in goats.
    JAVMA 223:495-500.
    IF you are willing & obedient , you shall eat the good of the land: But if you refuse & rebel, You shall be devoured with the sword: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it. Isaiah 1:19, 20

Sounds interesting, don't have goats yet, but would like some. I am feeding raw Garlic to our pigs for a natural dewormer, will be adding Rosemary next (in their feed). They love the raw Garlic, interestingly enough. I did find I had to peel it for them, so they could smell it, then they pretty quickly inhale all I toss to them.

Christie,

I'm curious. Are you planning to leave off on the garlic for a bit prior to butchering? I've heard of feeding apples to pigs before butchering because apples improves the taste of the pork. Any idea if garlic in the diet affects the taste for better or worse? With the garlic and rosemary, maybe add some thyme, sage, and a little wine to the diet and have a pre-seasoned carcass?

We don't have pigs; we won't have space for them until we move. I love the taste of pork, but supermarket pork lately has been mushy and yucky.

Faroe

I presume everything would respond the same, althought in terms of scale, you might need a lot for a pig, vs. a bit for a rabbit...but yes, I've heard of feeding seasonings to rabbits for a while before butchering to flavor the meat.

I guess if you think about it, someone who eats a lot of garlic, you can smell it on their skin so it makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroe View Post
    Christie,

I'm curious. Are you planning to leave off on the garlic for a bit prior to butchering? I've heard of feeding apples to pigs before butchering because apples improves the taste of the pork. Any idea if garlic in the diet affects the taste for better or worse? With the garlic and rosemary, maybe add some thyme, sage, and a little wine to the diet and have a pre-seasoned carcass?

Our pigs are getting a fermented diet (i.e. there is alcohol naturally), LOL. No, not planning to hold off the Garlic or Rosemary. I have only been told by those raising them that it improves the flavor. Since I grow Rosemary, Sage, and Thyme...

We don't have pigs; we won't have space for them until we move. I love the taste of pork, but supermarket pork lately has been mushy and yucky.

That is due to their diet.

Faroe
    bbkaren- I presume everything would respond the same, althought in terms of scale, you might need a lot for a pig, vs. a bit for a rabbit...but yes, I've heard of feeding seasonings to rabbits for a while before butchering to flavor the meat.

Yes, I have been feeding them a generous portion of Garlic; almost every day although it is recommended just once/week. I happen to grow my own Garlic, too. There is quite a difference between fresh homegrown Garlic and what the stores sell...

I guess if you think about it, someone who eats a lot of garlic, you can smell it on their skin so it makes sense.
    That is what they attribute the natural mosquito repellent to... Of course, other people may not want to get to close, either...

Raw Garlic has many health benefits, antibiotic, anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, anti-viral, and is an effective anti-wormer. We eat it just about every day ourselves.

I heard that diatomaceous earth, food grade, if fed on animals' food will act as a de-wormer.

Also it will get the fleas off your animals if you put it in their coats.

I haven't tried it, so this is just a wives tale until it's proven or corroborated by anybody else.

grower is offline Tree of Liberty Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Brown View Post
    I heard that diatomaceous earth, food grade, if fed on animals' food will act as a de-wormer.

Also it will get the fleas off your animals if you put it in their coats.

I haven't tried it, so this is just a wives tale until it's proven or corroborated by anybody else.
    I used DE last year when we got fleas in the house. Within 24 hours, the fleas had diminished, and within 48 hours they were gone. But then I had to sprinkle it in the carpet again about a week or week-and-a-half later.
    IF you are willing & obedient , you shall eat the good of the land: But if you refuse & rebel, You shall be devoured with the sword: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it. Isaiah 1:19, 20

Also heard tobacco leaves in moderation works as a dewormer for livestock. Never tried it though.
    There are no stains on the pages of tomorrow.

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." --Sinclair Lewis

Sounds like some tasty pork. I am jealous.

Joe Brown, My understanding re. DE is that is works on parasites by cutting. It has very small jagged edges that get under the exoskeleton. Intestinal worms have a slippery mucous coating, which protects them from DE.

Grower, I am taking notes. That stuff is hard to read!

My understanding is that researchers are interested in sericea Lespedeza because its high tannin content should act as a wormer (anthelmintic) for haemonchus Contortus. The paper seems to be reporting on two experiments measuring the effectiveness of SL; one experiment used a control group feeding on fescue/crabgrass mix, and the other experiment's control group was fed bermuda grass.

Apparently, in both experiments, the SL hay goats had a lower fecal worm count for haemonchus Contortus than the goats compared to the control goats. This leads the researchers to conclude that SL prevents the proliferation of (or kills off?) the HC.

...seems like its always the useful plants that get named as noxious weeds.

We are getting goats this fall.

Since it seems it may be the tannic acid in the grass, I wonder how oak leaves would effect the fecal count? My girls just love those oak leaves, fresh or newly fallen.