Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chocolate Syrup (like Hershey's)

Default Chocolate Syrup (like Hershey's)

My kids were craving chocolate milk, so I made them a batch of this syrup... then another one... then another one... You get the idea. It's good on ice cream, too.

Chocolate Syrup

4 cups sugar
    1/3 cup cocoa (I use Hershey's)
    pinch of salt
    2 cups water
    1 t. vanilla extract

In large saucepan, mix sugar, cocoa, and salt. Stir in water and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to simmer, cover pan, and cook for 3 minutes. Watch carefully as it foams up and could boil over (like it did for me today). I take it off the heat briefly when it boils too high, then return it when it settles down.

Stir in vanilla extract and cool. Pour it into a squirt bottle if you have one, otherwise just put it in a jar. Store in refrigerator.

Makes about a quart.
    Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are. ~Author Unknown

Chocolate milk. Yum and I'm no kid. Have to try the recipe. Haven't bought Hersey's for awhile. Last time it was around $2.50. Always thought it was kinda expensive; but good.

I never saved the recipe because the Hersey's coco can never changed for many years. Now I no longer have the fudge recipe. Marshmallow cream fudge is good but not as good as the old stir till your arm falls off Hersey's fudge we made as kids.
    Nessie and Bigfoot 2016. Change you can believe in.

WOW!!!! Thank you. I have been dreaming of a hot fudge sundae.

Cocoa powder must be part of preps for a chocoholic. Suggest http://www.bulkfoods.com/whole-foods.asp?wholesale=4023

That is similar to how I make it, except I use honey, but not sugar.

Quote Originally Posted by scg View Post
    WOW!!!! Thank you. I have been dreaming of a hot fudge sundae.
    If you want the best hot fudge sauce you ever put in your mouth, make this one~

Sander's Hot Fudge Sauce

1 can evaporated milk
    1 lb. Kraft caramels
    1/2 lb. butter
    12 oz Nestle's Milk Chocolate Chips

Combine all ingredients in the top of a double boiler over simmering water. Stir until smooth. Continue to cook for 30 minutes, stirring to prevent scorching. Put hot sauce through blender or beat at high speed with electric mixer for a few minutes. Pour into refrigerated containers, cover and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks. (it won't last that long)
    Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are. ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Belle View Post
    My kids were craving chocolate milk, so I made them a batch of this syrup... then another one... then another one... You get the idea. It's good on ice cream, too.

Chocolate Syrup

4 cups sugar
    1/3 cup cocoa (I use Hershey's)
    pinch of salt
    2 cups water
    1 t. vanilla extract

In large saucepan, mix sugar, cocoa, and salt. Stir in water and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to simmer, cover pan, and cook for 3 minutes. Watch carefully as it foams up and could boil over (like it did for me today). I take it off the heat briefly when it boils too high, then return it when it settles down.

Stir in vanilla extract and cool. Pour it into a squirt bottle if you have one, otherwise just put it in a jar. Store in refrigerator.

Makes about a quart.
    For those who don't use sugar, but use honey or some other sweetener, here is the modified healthier version:

Chocolate Syrup

Use Honey to preference for sweetness
    1/3 cup cocoa (use DARK Organic Cocoa)
    pinch of salt
    2 cups water
    1 T vanilla extract (I use more)

Now, for those of you who would rather get Organic Dark Cocoa for less than the regular lower quality cocoa costs:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...PCAMP1R5E79B4M

Quote Originally Posted by FarOut View Post
    Cocoa powder must be part of preps for a chocoholic. Suggest http://www.bulkfoods.com/whole-foods.asp?wholesale=4023
    The following is Organic Dark Cocoa for just a little more than Bulk Foods (now this kind is way worth prepping, love it):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...PCAMP1R5E79B4M

Have any of you canned a chocolate syrup? I didn't see it in the ball book except with raspberries. I don't really care for them, so that would be a no no. If I could make it to either can in small 1/2 pints, or store for a longer time in the frig, then I could make it. We just don't go through it that quick here, THOUGH we might if it is really that good LOL.
    "the bad thing about knowing all of this...
    you can't 'unknow' it"

God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you...Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever". (Heb. 13:5,8, NIV)

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh19717 View Post
    Have any of you canned a chocolate syrup?
    yup, see my post here.

http://www.thetreeofliberty.com/vb/s...90#post1671490