Thread: Home Canned Chocolate Syrup

Default Home Canned Chocolate Syrup

3 c water
    2 c corn syrup (or make your own - 1 part water 2 part sugar, honey, etc)
    2 c sugar
    1 c cocoa
    1 tsp salt
    2 tbls vanilla

Bring to boil - cook 3 minutes then add vanilla.

Makes about 6 - 1/2pints, waterbath 15 minutes.

thanks so much! I know everyone here will thank you too lol.
    "the bad thing about knowing all of this...
    you can't 'unknow' it"

God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you...Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever". (Heb. 13:5,8, NIV)

Maybe ASPB has had better luck, but I've only been able to keep home canned chocolate syrup for around six months before it separates and tastes "stale." That may also have been in error in processing, but I tried it twice. Maybe I used inferior corn syrup.

I've had better luck with vac packing small batches of cocoa powder and keeping that cool -- I used a 5-y.o. batch yesterday without problems -- I then make syrup or use it in baking.

thanks Meemer! I can use up 1 of the half pints easily per month, if that is the case. I just can't use up a quart in 2 weeks like the other recipe called for. I don't let my kids (including me lol) have that much chocolate milk...I know...bad momma. I just found out my daughter has been getting it almost EVERY day at the school lunch. I told her she better be choosing the white box for 4 days and a treat on fridays, the brown box lol.
    you can't 'unknow' it"

God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you...Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever". (Heb. 13:5,8, NIV)

Quote Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
    Maybe ASPB has had better luck, but I've only been able to keep home canned chocolate syrup for around six months before it separates and tastes "stale." That may also have been in error in processing, but I tried it twice. Maybe I used inferior corn syrup.
    I don't know the answer to that ... it's never sat on the shelf that long

Quote Originally Posted by A Simple Pine Box View Post
    I don't know the answer to that ... it's never sat on the shelf that long
    That doesn't surprise me!

At one point, I was trying to put away chocolate in different forms to see what stored best and took the least amount of effort. I knew that candy bars wouldn't last long and unopened cans of Hersey's Syrup lasted about 9 months in my cupboard (maybe longer, but it tasted "off.")

That's when I found I had the best results with the vac sealed cocoa, followed by blocks of baker's chocolate, also vac sealed and kept cool (2 years for those, for my taste buds -- friends have kept those longer).

YMMV. I don't have a deep basement or root cellar.

Added: I don't have a serious chocolate craving. I do make fudge and such for the Thanksgiving - Christmas holidays and I've been trying to buy things like semi-sweet pieces on sale and put them away for that period. For some reason, I always really good sales in August. That's probably when they mark down and dump the stuff that's almost expired. If I vac seal those and keep them cool, I can usually use those at Christmas without an off taste, but that's about the deadline.

Again, YMMV. I know people who've used them the following summer. That fudge tasted "off" to me, but who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
    That doesn't surprise me!

At one point, I was trying to put away chocolate in different forms to see what stored best and took the least amount of effort. I knew that candy bars wouldn't last long and unopened cans of Hersey's Syrup lasted about 9 months in my cupboard (maybe longer, but it tasted "off.")

That's when I found I had the best results with the vac sealed cocoa, followed by blocks of baker's chocolate, also vac sealed and kept cool (2 years for those, for my taste buds -- friends have kept those longer).

YMMV. I don't have a deep basement or root cellar.

?
    you know I have always wondered what the term YMMV meant. After research, came up some meanings. After careful pondering, I decided to go with Your milage may vary, instead of You make me vomit. Kind of funny when you insert the latter one in peoples posts LOL. OK, back to Chocolate!
    you can't 'unknow' it"

Your millage may vary <-- yes

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh19717 View Post
    you know I have always wondered what the term YMMV meant. After research, came up some meanings. After careful pondering, I decided to go with Your milage may vary, instead of You make me vomit. Kind of funny when you insert the latter one in peoples posts LOL. OK, back to Chocolate!
    ROFL!!! That never occurred to me! Too funny!

A Simple Pine Box, thank you so much for the canning instructions! My children will love you for this! They go through a quart of chocolate syrup a week. Yesterday, I caught they putting it on their (formerly healthy) granola!
    Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are. ~Author Unknown