We found this a very popular method of cooking chicken on an open grill, while we were stationed in Italy. They don’t use charcoal, instead they use whatever scrap lumber, drift wood and garbage they can find to burn. They use large rotisseries, some of which can hold and turn 3 dozen chickens at a time.

Orange Juice,
Brandy,
1 tsp Garlic powder,
4 tsp Rosemary,
2 tsp mint,
1 tsp nutmeg,
8 Tbl Onion, dried,
salt and pepper.

I mix the: garlic, rosemary, mint, nutmeg, onion, salt and pepper. I sprinkle it onto pieces of chicken and pat it on both sides. I mix even amounts of orange juice and brandy, enough to cover boneless chicken. I put the chicken into large casserole pans and pour in enough marinade to cover the chicken, and place them into a cold oven. I let this soak for 2 – 10 hours (sometimes overnight) in the last 2 hours before cooking I turn the heat up to 200 degrees. I then cook the pieces on a grill, sprinkling more spice mix on them. Along the roadside in Italy, they routinely spray more brandy on the chicken while it is on the rotisserie, it flames up a lot to impress the on-lookers.

During winter months, we marinade over-night and then turn the oven up to 350 and cook the chicken until it starts to brown.