Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do with Mint?

Here is some interesting info about mint:

http://www.gardensablaze.com/HerbMintMed.htm

Grind some up and put it in ice tea.

ST

Mint oil mixed with some soap is deadly to insects. The commercial spray I've seen uses 4% mint oil. For reference: http://www.saferbrand.com/store/insect-control/m601 . Harmless to people.

I mean in reglular old fashioned ice tea.
    The Hindu resturant does this, and I cannot get enough--so I too started to grow my own.

ST

Soup recipe:

Go to foodnetwork.com and search for Emerils "NEW Style Caldo Verde", My family loves it and it uses lots of fresh herbs including mint. Make it with Kielbasa or Linguisa sausage

Cleveland OH, looking wistfully towards...Banks of the Brazos River, Republic of Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Jez View Post
    I planted some mint about a year ago and it's starting to really take off. I picked it up on a lark and violated the don't grow what you don't eat rule. Now I need some ideas on what to do with it. So far we've been dropping a few leaves in with the tea when we brew it, but that's about it.

The FIRST thing you need to do is dig a 12 inch wide, 12 inch deep trench around what ever area you are willing to sacrifice to the mint.
    Line this with steel sheets or halves of 5 gal STEEL buckets.
    About every 3 or 4 weeks, fill trench with an inch of gasoline and light it off to discourage the mint from approaching the trench.
    Failure to periodically light the trench off will embolden the mint.
    Even so, you will need to PRAY the mint will not jump the trench.
    If you start seeing mint sprigs in other parts of your yard, run up the white flag and resign yourself to an all mint yard within hours....
    ================================================== ==

OK, seriously.

pick and hang to dry the plants, and after dry, strip the leaves and store the dry leaves in a large jar, sealed well. You can use these dry leaves for tea, for infusions (IIRC mint is a best 50/50 mix of alcohol and water so 100 proof vodka will work well), and other medicaments and flavoring options....
    "I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing....only I will remain"
    [Frank Herbert...Bene Gesserit Fear Littany}

night driver's I-garage:
    http://bluemudpatriot.wordpress.com/

I did the same thing last year. Bought one little mint plant. Almost died because I forgot about so I just threw it in my garden where I had room. Already I have 12 plants shooting up this year. Went to till the garden the other day and all I could smell was the mint.

Of course I came here to see what to do and sure enough there is a thread :).. I love this place..

Quote Originally Posted by night driver View Post
    If you start seeing mint sprigs in other parts of your yard, run up the white flag and resign yourself to an all mint yard within hours....
    No - never give up! I have the answer to fighting back the mint.

Dig a new trench around the escaped mint and plant horseradish and jerusalem artichokes in it. You won't have a mint problem anymore.

Dig a new trench around the escaped mint and plant horseradish and jerusalem artichokes in it. You won't have a mint problem anymore.

Now, THAT'S funny!

sunny225 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dissimulo View Post
    No - never give up! I have the answer to fighting back the mint.

Hey! Where can I buy some horseradish? I don't want any artichokes but love that horseradish!