Thread: Questions about horseradish

Default Questions about horseradish

I have a good supply of horseradish and someone to dig it for me. What's the best way to prepare and store it? I have a food processor. Can it be canned?
    My son likes horseradish and horseradish mustard. I've started adding some to a lot of meat dishes.
    Suggestions?

I can tell you how my Grandfather taught me when I was very young. Dig it, clean it and peel it. Then grind it with some wonderful white vinegar with salt to taste. Can it. We used to just keep it in our root cellar at the farm and it was fine. In sterilized jars of course. We love it too. We made the mistake of planting too much tho in the big 1/2 acre garden and it re-routed itself everywhere. No one wanted any. I'll be it is still growing there.

Fresh horseradish is absolutly the best! you can dig it up wrap it in a paper towel put it in the crisper in the refridge and it will keep for months. I just peel it and grate it as I need it. Fresh it has a really nutty taste. Great with any beef! Steaks roasts ect. My family loves the fresh.

Horseradish can be dehydrated and stores well for years.

Once it is ground, it loses potency within hours unless put into vinegar [or I think alcohol].

We grow horseradish in containers. I flip them upside down, and I can then easily access the tap roots. Which are usually coiled neatly at the bottom of the container. I tall goes back into the same container and is ready to grow the next year. No shovel or digging :)

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Beekeeper View Post
    Horseradish can be dehydrated and stores well for years.

Once it is ground, it loses potency within hours unless put into vinegar [or I think alcohol].

We grow horseradish in containers. I flip them upside down, and I can then easily access the tap roots. Which are usually coiled neatly at the bottom of the container. I tall goes back into the same container and is ready to grow the next year. No shovel or digging :)
    What a good idea. I'll give that a try next year.

Is horseradish readily available out there or does anybody have a favorite place to get it???
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. ...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
    C.S. Lewis

the last ones I planted I ordered off the net as no whole ones were available around here.
    prior to that I just bought some whole horseradish from the store and planted those.

You shouldn't ever need to buy any again if you do purchase some, they are like mint and spread readily.

never thought of dehydrating horseradish, any special technique to it?

Quote Originally Posted by Homesteader View Post

Is horseradish readily available out there or does anybody have a favorite place to get it???

i go to the grocery store or walmart and buy a piece of root there and plant it

Default Great medicinal value

Complete Organic Sulphur with Turmeric Tonic (AKA Complete Tonic)
    One handful or about 1 cup or 8 ounces chopped organic raw onions
    One handful or about 1 cup or 8 ounces chopped organic raw garlic
    One handful or about 1 cup or 8 ounces chopped organic raw ginger
    One handful or about 1 cup or 8 ounces chopped organic raw horseradish
    One half handful or about 1/4 cup or 2 ounces of chopped organic raw habaneros --or-- 1/4 cup or 2 ounces more or less, depending on your tastes of powedered cayenne (hottest you can get)
    1/4 cup or 2 ounces of Tumeric powder Put all ingredients into blender and add enough organic apple cider vinegar to blend.
    Pour all into a large glass jug and fill with as much ACV as you can. Best to use either 1 gallon or 4 liter glass bottles. Of course don't let that stop you if you don't have these types of bottles. Cover and place in your cupboard for two weeks. Begin this process on the new moon and strain it on the full moon. After straining dehydrate the mash that is left over and powder it up. Makes a wonderful spice for you cooking or on raw foods. Also works really well for clearing out the sinuses. Bottle the liquid and store in refrigerator and take as much as needed. Normal dose would be a teaspoonful three times per day with meals, before meals or after meals whichever suits you. This formula will boost your immune system naturally and help to regulate your circulatory system. It is also a tremendous source of organic sulphur and one of the most best and most natural antibiotic you can find. The addition of Turmeric makes this formula even more anti-inflammatory. Turmeric is also an excellent free radical scanvenger, due to its antioxidant properties. Turmeric is very good for arthritis, rheumatism, heart disease and ny other disease where free radical damage is apparent. It has even shown good results in treating certain forms of cancer and in inhibiting the growth of cancer cells.

Quote Originally Posted by Homesteader View Post

Our local seed companies have it [FEDCO, Johnnys]

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyvet View Post
    ... never thought of dehydrating horseradish, any special technique to it?
    I put it on our window sill.

I also see it marketed routinely at the Farmer's Markets in the same form as what I have on my window sill.