Thread: Air bubbles in canned tomatoes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Air bubbles in canned tomatoes

I pressure canned 7 quarts of tomatoes on Monday. I peeled, cut up and cooked on stove until they boiled then put them in hot jars and pressure canned. I noticed some of the tomatoes have air bubbles around the top. Does this mean they aren't any good? I put two tablespoons of lemon juice in each quart.

Sure will hate it if they are bad.

I'll defer to those who know better, but if you pressure canned them they certainly should be fine...I think tomatoes (as long as you've added acidity to them) are safe to water-bath can - so they should be just dandy!

No, they're fine.

Summerthyme

Thanks for the reply.

Years ago we canned them without even water bath and they were fine. I don't undertand why they would have air bubbles.

Thank you! They look so nice and it was killing me to consider tossing them.

Quote Originally Posted by alytwo View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

Years ago we canned them without even water bath and they were fine. I don't undertand why they would have air bubbles.
    Just a guess but maybe because they needed to cook longer? Not that they are hurt, but maybe they were still kinda undone and retaining air when you put them in the jars.

My canning recipe says to crush the first few and bring to boil, then add the rest at a pace where the boiling never stops, keep stirring and crushing. Boil for another 5 or 10 after the last of the tomato quarters are added. This is supposed to help keep the tomatoes from floating to the top and leaving clear liquid in the bottom of the jar.

Next time, just try cooking a bit longer.

I agree with everyone else, they are fine to eat and you are going to enjoy them so much! A coworker has to can plain tomatoes every year for her daughter, who eats them with a fork straight from the jar.

I think you are right about cooking longer. In the past when I was doing it by memory, I cooked them longer. This time I followed the USDA book and it didn't say to to cook as long as you do. I was wondering why they had seperated. That never happened before.