Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Artichoke Hearts Recipe Please

Default Artichoke Hearts Recipe Please

Since I am not that familiar with the kitchen I would like to know if anyone has a good easy way to make artichoke hearts.

I use to eat them as a child, then tonight I got into a conversation with my parents about making them. Well my mom has forgotten how to do them and I can't find the kitchen unless I like something, so I am wondering if anyone can help me with a recipe for them. Also, we dipped them in some "sauce" I think I remember???

THANKS

hot artichoke dip

1 envelope lipton soup recipe secrets onion soup mix
    1 can/jar artichoke hearts drained (chop)
    1 cup each mayo and sour cream
    1 cup shredded mozz or swiss cheese

combine all ingredients
    spread in (greased or sprayed w/pam quart baking dish (i like the glass one)
    bake uncovered in 350 oven 20-30 min (til bubbly)

serve hot w/nachos, pita triangles or kings hawaiian rolls...............

I personally like to dip them in butter.

mmmmmmmm

We cook the artichokes in the pressure cooker - but I'm sure you already got that.

For a "dip" we use a mayo and lemon juice mixture. Tart and tasty.
    ". . . for the time has come for you to awaken from your slumber. . . " Romans 13:11

Oh MY!!! Love them to bits. But all I do is use the bottoms, saute' in a skillet with butter. Add drops of lemon juice, fresh, then salt and pepper. Almost as good as lobster to me. There is a Lebanese gas station in another city that we go to once in a while and they have a little deli on the side. I buy them by the bagfull. Over a pound of just the hearts, frozen for under $4.00 a bag.

Thanks everyone.

I remember something like Steaming them -- we never had a pressure cooker.
    Does that sound familiar?

We would pull off the "things" and dip them in sauce.

(( Maybe I should have taken notes when I was younger instead of wanting to
    play with the neighborhood boys lol ))

First peel off a few of the outer scrubby looking layers, then trim off the pointy tips with a scissors. When I get a few layers in I then use a serrated knife and saw off about an inch or two of the top. Place in a couple inches of salted, boiling water for about 30 minutes. They are done when you can easily pull a leaf out.

I once ate at an expensive restaurant in Chicago, where they had stuffed halves with the choke scraped out, filled with a soft breadcrumb dressing, pancetta, sliced green onions, drizzled with olive oil and run under a broiler. Yum!!

Mix:

1 box frozen chopped spinach (thawed and squeezed dry)
    4 oz. softened cream cheese
    1 10oz. jar of Alfredo Sauce
    1 can Artichoke hearts ( coarsely chopped)
    2 cups of Italian cheese ( the five cheese blend works well)

Bake in a casserole dish until cheese is melted and hot and bubbly ( about 30 to 45 minutes).

Great with nachos and just like the spinach/artichoke dip at Applebees.

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle_3kds View Post
    First peel off a few of the outer scrubby looking layers, then trim off the pointy tips with a scissors. When I get a few layers in I then use a serrated knife and saw off about an inch or two of the top. Place in a couple inches of salted, boiling water for about 30 minutes. They are done when you can easily pull a leaf out.
    Also use the serrated knife to cut the stem so the artichoke will sit flat. And cut off the bottom few leaves, as they'll be too tough.

Once I've cut the top off, I hold the artichoke under running water and pull the leaves open a bit to wash out anything that might be in there. I haven't found a bug in decades, but that's what my mother taught me.

I was also taught to add a bit of lemon juice or vinegar to the water the artichokes will boil in. This will keep them from turning black.

Nowadays, I cook myself an artichoke in the microwave. Pyrex bowl as tall as the artichoke, maybe half an inch of water and a bit of vinegar poured over the top of the artichoke. A bit of waxed paper across the top of the bowl.

I have an older microwave and I've been buying extra-humongous artichokes lately. One extra-humongous artichoke seems to need about 9 minutes on high (high = 10).

When it's done, pour out the water.

In my family, we dip artichokes in melted butter. I've been known to add a bit of lemon juice.

Bon appetit!

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle_3kds View Post

I once ate at an expensive restaurant in Chicago, where they had stuffed halves with the choke scraped out, filled with a soft breadcrumb dressing, pancetta, sliced green onions, drizzled with olive oil and run under a broiler. Yum!!
    yum for sure. i make them like that, but with breadcumbs mixed with parmesan instead of pacetta, and finely diced onions sauteed clear in butter mixed in.

my favorite way to do the jarred hearts is to slice them and add to shrimp alfredo. made with a nice toothy fettucine cooked al dente, add the shrimp and artichoke after the sauce comes together. then simmer only long enough to heat the additions. its a wonderful indulgence when funds and the waistline permits!
    Laura

Crazy is fractal.