Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who has Mexican Restaurant salsa recipe?

Well, being from Texas - we LOVE Tex-Mex ...this is our favorite

1 28oz can tomatoes
    1/2 med onion
    handful of cilantro
    3-6 cloves garlic (start with a little and work your way up)
    3-5 jalapenos (same as above)
    2-4 serrano peppers (same as above)
    juice from 1/2 lime (give or take - I like lime)
    1/2 - 1 teaspoon cumin
    salt and black pepper to taste

Mix all in a blender and enjoy. We always play with amount because peppers are never exactly the same heat, etc.

This was a spin off from a salsa recipe published in the FW Star Telegram several years back that my husband and I LOVE. We take it to parties and it's always GONE.
    Deuteronomy 6:5-7 And thou shalt love YHWH thy Elohim with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might. And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart: And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mambojambo View Post
    I think a smokey flavor is that "secret" taste. Roasting adds a smokey flavor or can add a tsp of liquid smoke.
    Chipotle peppers--basically roasted jalapenos in adobo--are also good for that.
    All best,
    Cyberiot

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig. –Robert Heinlein

I think you need the cumin, cilantro and fresh lime juice. I like Rotel too. If you can find it in your stores. It isn't prevelant here. I had a super recipe that I used to make for the staff where I worked (75 people +). They loved it and it took me hours of chopping by hand. I still do not have a food processor. I remember it being in my first heart health cookbook and now I can't find it. If I do recover it, I will be sure to post it for you. It was an awesome one. Litluver's looks pretty close to my memory of it.

ST we would like to see yours too please. Thanks in advance.

Here is one from my little "Southwest Ole!" cook book. It looks like most ingredients are standard (those mentioned above). I imagine it is a sort of "to taste" thing as the seasonings go. This recipe has some different items.

This one is called FIESTA SALSA

5 tomatoes, chopped
    1 onion, finely chopped
    1 bell pepper, chopped
    1 (4-ounce) can shopped green chilies
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
    1/4 teaspoon oregano

Mix all ingredients together. Refrigerate. Call me when it is ready!

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." -- Ronald Reagan

I will give your recipe a try. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Shinmen Takezo View Post
    Okay, the ultimate salsa recipe....

1) 4 Roma tomatoes, cut in half, cored, seeded... leave only the outer meat. Chop this into small pieces. As small as possible.

2) 1 large red onion. Chopped very fine--as in a food processor fine/minced.

3) 1 or 2 Jalapeno chlies, steamed until soft, then minced up.

4) 1 bunch of cilantro. Use only the leaves. Chop up fine.

5) 2 Tbl sp's of lime juice.

6) 1/2 tbl spn of course salt.

7) Big pinch of ground pepper.

Mix this in a bowl and then let it sit for a few hours. The juices come out of the onions and tomatoes and blend up with the spicing. It is delicious.

I also add a couple of cap-fulls of Mr. Stubb's liquid smoke flavor.

http://stubbsbbq.elsstore.com/view/p...29783&cid=6961

http://stubbsbbq.elsstore.com/view/p...29782&cid=6961

This stuff is hard to find in the stores BTW.
    "The key to life is how well you deal with plan B "... Stephen Dias