Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who has Mexican Restaurant salsa recipe?

Okay, the ultimate salsa recipe....

1) 4 Roma tomatoes, cut in half, cored, seeded... leave only the outer meat. Chop this into small pieces. As small as possible.

2) 1 large red onion. Chopped very fine--as in a food processor fine/minced.

3) 1 or 2 Jalapeno chlies, steamed until soft, then minced up.

4) 1 bunch of cilantro. Use only the leaves. Chop up fine.

5) 2 Tbl sp's of lime juice.

6) 1/2 tbl spn of course salt.

7) Big pinch of ground pepper.

Mix this in a bowl and then let it sit for a few hours. The juices come out of the onions and tomatoes and blend up with the spicing. It is delicious.

I also add a couple of cap-fulls of Mr. Stubb's liquid smoke flavor.

http://stubbsbbq.elsstore.com/view/p...29783&cid=6961

http://stubbsbbq.elsstore.com/view/p...29782&cid=6961

This stuff is hard to find in the stores BTW.

Thanks, everyone, for the additional ideas and recipes. I've never tried green salsa but I've seen it in the grocery store. I'm going to try these recipes as soon as I can. Sure wish I could pinpoint the ingredient that gives the taste I'm searching to reproduce. As someone mentioned, asking the restaurant for the recipe or at least to get some info would be worth a try. Of course, I don't speak Spanish but maybe they'll indulge me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicho1 View Post
    Sure wish I could pinpoint the ingredient that gives the taste I'm searching to reproduce.
    Cilantro?

Tomatillo?

Mexican oregano, aka desert oregano? This is not a real oregano (and not the same as Cuban oregano either). You might try to find a packet of leaves (better whole than ground) in a Mexican market or the Mexican aisle of a good supermarket; apparently it's "oregano" in Spanish. As near as I can tell, there aren't any U.S. seed vendors who sell it.

From your garden:

5 large sunray tomatoes(these are yellow-orange) Peel and chop or run through a grinder.

1 medium onion, finely chopped

I bunch cilantro, minced

5-10 Habanero peppers, minced

1 garlic clove, minced

1 tablespoon of sea salt

The habeneros would do me in! Thanks for the suggestion, though.

This is the one I use for salsa to can.

2 28oz can crushed tomatos
    1 finely diced seeded jalapeno
    3 tsp salt
    2 tsp cumin
    dash black pepper
    1 small-medium onion, finely chopped
    2 cloves garlic, finely minced
    2 tbsp lemon or lime juice
    1 medium bunch fresh cilantro, tops only, chopped finely

Blend it all together and enjoy. To can, I use the recipe from the Ball Blue Book for their salsa recipe.

To make a BIG batch, I use 2 #10 cans and scale everything else accordingly. This makes some seriously good salsa, but it's not the thick and chunky kind.
    "I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.
    Thomas Payne

East Central Illinois. 40 miles from anything.

Default Response to Mexican Restaurant Salsa Recipe

6 tomatoes
    1 onion
    1 Serrano pepper (more or less to taste)
    1/2 cup cilantro
    2 cloves garlic
    1 Tblsp salt (more or less to taste)

Put tomatoes and serrano pepper on a flat cast iron skillet and roast till skins are mostly blackened and the pepper is blistered. Peel off skins on tomatoes. Stick in blender and blend for a couple of seconds. Pour into bowl. Chop onion and cilantro and add to tomatoes. Add salt and chopped garlic.

If you want it chunky, don't put in blender.

If in a hurry, use a large can of Rotel and put that in blender. Follow rest of recipe altering the Serrano pepper to taste if too hot.

My mother-in-law is Mexican....this is her recipe.
    Last edited by Mambojambo; 02-17-2013 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Addition

East Central Illinois. 40 miles from anything.

Thanks, everyone, for the additional ideas and recipes. I've never tried green salsa but I've seen it in the grocery store. I'm going to try these recipes as soon as I can. Sure wish I could pinpoint the ingredient that gives the taste I'm searching to reproduce. As someone mentioned, asking the restaurant for the recipe or at least to get some info would be worth a try. Of course, I don't speak Spanish but maybe they'll indulge me.
    I think a smokey flavor is that "secret" taste. Roasting adds a smokey flavor or can add a tsp of liquid smoke.

Thanks, applecider. In looking at the ingredients, I'm not sure that this would be the taste I'm searching for but it certainly is worth the try. The restaurant variety doesn't seem to have as much garlic. And, yes, I could either reduce or eliminate that to taste. We'll see.
    You clearly have NOT eaten at the local mexican resturaunts in my area not only do they love love love garlic but they are not shy with those jalepenos either!

K-
    • “I am not afraid, because I was born to do this."

Joan of Arc
    Mark 8:38 - Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

There is a Food Distribution out of Landover Maryland that has been around for some decades. They sell Salsa that is sent west.

To this day I can never remember this distributor. A extra case or two kept us well supplied then.

Here it's Rotel by the can and whatever else you can throw in there. Not much, but it works.
    I have decided the Tree is now infested with Trolls intent on destroying anyone who dares talk openly on these forums.

I will no longer be posting or logging on to the tree. My time is over here.

Some of you will celebrate. I will not be around to hear of it.

Good day.