Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Fecal Transplants' Show Promise for Gastrointestinal Ills

Default 'Fecal Transplants' Show Promise for Gastrointestinal Ills

Now this is just plain nasty!

'Fecal Transplants' Show Promise for Gastrointestinal Ills

TUESDAY, Nov. 1 (HealthDay News) -- They sound disgusting, but doctors say "fecal transplants" -- once shunned by the medical establishment -- are proving useful against a range of gastrointestinal ailments, new research says.
    Presenting at the American College of Gastroenterology annual meeting in Washington, D.C., researchers report that the therapy can ease severe irritable bowel syndrome and nasty bacterial infections.
    Fecal microbiota transplant (FMT) involves taking feces from a donor, typically a spouse or relative though it could be anyone, after a light colonoscopy prep.
    That sample is then mixed "with some saline so that it's a consistency that can be aspirated into 60 cc syringes," explained Dr. Mark Mellow, one of the researchers presenting findings at the meeting.
    The patient then undergoes a routine colonoscopy during which the mixture is inserted. The idea is that this new, transplanted population of healthy flora will correct the patient's underlying problem and it does seem to work.

More:
    http://gma.yahoo.com/fecal-transplan...131204240.html
    "But none of the wicked shall understand [that the End of the Age is upon them]."
    [Daniel 12:10b]

"No way...You're sh*tin' me right?"

Yep.

God gave man intelligence to create the modern medical system.

bon apetit.
    Why is owning pets better than owning kids? Because if they get pregnant, you can sell their children.

The Daily Economist
    http://www.thedailyeconomist.com

Quote Originally Posted by CaptSkip View Post

"No way...You're sh*tin' me right?"

Apparently that's the main idea.

There's a better way. I'll make my own flora, thank you very much.

why spend money on it, and risk introducing whatever else might be in that syringe, when the best and safest way to purge excess dead fecal matter and introduce living flora is by eating real food.
    But what weapons can you use to dispossess someone who will not accept anything except Holy Scripture interpreted according to his own rules?...Where Lutheranism reigns, learning dies. They seek only two things: good pay and a wife. The gospel offers them the rest — that is, the power of living as they please.

I understand now how Arius and Tertullian and Wickliff were driven into schism by malicious clergy and wicked monks.

(Erasmus regarding Luther and the church, 1527, 1529)

Quote Originally Posted by argonath View Post
    Yep.

God gave man intelligence to create the modern medical system.

bon apetit.
    Hehe!! Yeah, and he also gave them the intelligence to choose cucumber slices and water over potato chips and pepsi....how did that one work out? All that comes from the world of modern medicine is not wisdom.
    But what weapons can you use to dispossess someone who will not accept anything except Holy Scripture interpreted according to his own rules?...Where Lutheranism reigns, learning dies. They seek only two things: good pay and a wife. The gospel offers them the rest — that is, the power of living as they please.

I understand now how Arius and Tertullian and Wickliff were driven into schism by malicious clergy and wicked monks.

This is an ancient practice. Nothing new here.

It's along the same lines as moving cud from a healthy ruminant to one who is having digestive problems.

I kind of prefer drinking home-made kefir or eating live-culture yogurt, though.

Kathleen
    Psalm 27:4 One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to enquire in his temple.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeholder View Post
    It's along the same lines as moving cud from a healthy ruminant to one who is having digestive problems.

I kind of prefer drinking home-made kefir or eating live-culture yogurt, though.

Kathleen
    If that ruminant were extracted and prepared inside a hospital lab, I would not put it into any bovine of mine.

Kefir and other natural ferments are exactly what I was referring to as real food.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    This is an ancient practice. Nothing new here.
    There are lots of old practices, that doesn't make them good choices. Just ask George Washington about the old practice of blood letting.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiskey Reb View Post
    There are lots of old practices, that doesn't make them good choices. Just ask George Washington about the old practice of blood letting.
    Maggots are extremely effective at debriding wounds and bedsores, eating away the necrotic tissue and leaving behind the healthy, new tissue.

Leeches are used to remove excess blood after some surgical procedures, such as reattachment of fingers or limbs.