Thread: Pickled Carrot & Celery Sticks

Default Pickled Carrot & Celery Sticks

These are sweet and a little spicy(if you add jalapenos) Surprisingly, the carrots and celery stay crisp. Handy to have on hand for a relish tray (or just for snacking)

Pickled Carrot & Celery Sticks

carrots, peeled and cut into thin sticks
    celery, cut into thin sticks
    2 or 3 jalapeno's, slivered (optional)
    3 c. white vinegar
    1 c. water
    2 c. sugar
    6 tbsp. mixed pickling spice

In pot combine spices, sugar, vinegar, and water and bring to boil. Arrange vegetable slices in hot sterilized jars. Pour boiling liquid over vegetables and seal.

Makes about 5 pints.

Note: I like to put these up in half pint jars, so I cut the carrot and celery sticks to fit, then put half carrot sticks and half celery sticks in each jar. I also add a sliver or two of jalapeno so they're a little spicy.

I don't know how many carrots or celery sticks to tell you, because I usually make this when I'm making something else at the same time, but I'd guess about a pound of carrots and a bunch of celery would be enough.
    Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are. ~Author Unknown

Thank you so much Belle! I just told my dh about them and he is very intrigued. So I think I might make some after Thanksgiving. We can open a jar at Christmas or New Years.