Thread: looking for Christmas Stolen recipe

Default looking for Christmas Stolen recipe

Does anyone have a family recipe to share? For years and years we received one from a family our son was friends with (their son). We were always delighted when it came. Well kids grow up and move away. Appreciate any recipe. MM

I'm too lazy to type out the recipe card. This version is fairly close. Any version that requires at least two risings will probably be good.

Use fresh candied fruit, if you use it! I dice mine finely so it doesn't look like a fruit cake.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/nanas-christmas-stollen/

Nana's Christmas Stollen - Photo at the link. Additional recipes at the link

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups milk
    1/2 cup white sugar
    3/4 cup butter
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 eggs
    2 egg yolks
    5 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
    1 ounce active dry yeast
    1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
    1/2 cup raisins
    1/2 cup candied citrus peel
    1/2 cup candied cherries

Directions

Scald milk. Add sugar, butter, and salt, and cool to lukewarm. Add 2 whole eggs, and 2 yolks. Mix.

Add to 3 cups flour and yeast in food processor. Process and let rise until double.

Add cardamom, raisins, citron, and cherries, and rest of flour. Process and put on floured board and knead. Let rise in greased bowl.

When risen, cut into 3-4 pieces. Roll each into an oval, butter, and fold in half lengthwise. Put on greased baking sheet, cover, and let rise until double.

Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 25 minutes.

Remove to rack. When cool, frost with white butter frosting and decorate with candied cherry halves and sprinkle with colored sugar.

Whew! I thought your recipe was STOLEN!

I crack myself up
    ~Kate

Mary is the Mother of Jesus and the Mother of all of us even though it was Christ alone who reposed on her knees… If he is ours, we ought to be in his situation; there where he is, we ought also to be and all that he has ought to be ours, and his mother is also our mother. —Martin Luther, Christmas Sermon, 1529.

thanks meemur...Thurs & Fri I'm taking some unused vacation days to do some baking. hermantribe I'm already preparing for "stolen" goodies as my family is going to wear this one out. Merry Christmas! MM

OOOH! I get it now - stollen! (insert laughing smilie face) MM

Merry Christmas MaddyMae Maybe you could make an extra and hide it in the freezer
    ~Kate

Mary is the Mother of Jesus and the Mother of all of us even though it was Christ alone who reposed on her knees… If he is ours, we ought to be in his situation; there where he is, we ought also to be and all that he has ought to be ours, and his mother is also our mother. —Martin Luther, Christmas Sermon, 1529.

My grandmother use to make this every year and we couldn't gobble it up fast enough...then my mom made it and the smell and aroma was just wonderful, got my grandmothers recipe from my dad a few years back and after 60 years, it still takes me back to when I was a kid during the holidays...this, toasted with a big ol slab of butter was a delight any time of day...make one and guard it with your life! LOL
    Old enough to remember