Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Add tsp to laundry and dishwasher to clean

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Add tsp to laundry and dishwasher to clean

I read somewhere that adding tri sodium phosphate to your laundry and dishwasher will make you stuff cleaner. My bride washed glasses after they come out of the dw.
    I do know that some years ago phosphate was removed from all cleaning products . My son has a recepie for laundry soap that he makes . it work well but I wonder about adding phosphate to his mix to make it better.

I read somewhere that adding a bit to your dishwasher makes a big difference . Does anyone know of this and have any idea as to quantities.
    I would rather die on my feet , than live on my knees. Emiliano Zapata

I haven't been able to find a homemade dishwasher formula that works well with our water.

A&P's store brand powder works best for us.

Adding 1/2 tsp. of TSP Makes a world of difference!!

You have to use the red box, though - the green box is "phosphate-free" TSP (?!)

I don't use TSP... I use "sodium hexametaphosphate" (sold online as "Miracle Cleaner")

I use 1/4- 1/2 tsp in my dishwasher.. I started with just 1/4 tsp, but found it worked better if I put 1/4 tsp in each of the detergent cups. And yes, it makes a HUGE difference in how well the dishes clean.

I also use 1-2 tablespoons in the laundry... the larger amount when washing barn chore clothes, which get truly filthy. I don't use it when washing whites; for those loads I add chlorine bleach, and the addition of phosphate doesn't seem to change anything for those clothes.

I'm not sure if trisodiumphosphate is the same strength/concentration of phosphate as the sodium hexametaphosphate. We haven't been able to find TSP in local stores for years, although I did manage to find some online- but I'd already purchased the Miracle Cleaner and found that it worked very well for us.

Summerthyme

Summerthyme, is this a liquid or powder? When I google Miracle Cleaner, several products come up. Is that specifically the name? Thank you!

Carol.... this is the stuff, and the place I bought it.
    http://www.needs.com/product/Miracle...aundry_Booters

It's not cheap, but 5# goes a LONG way. (you can buy 1#, too, if 5# is too much)

Summerthyme

I don't use dishwashing detergent, I use clorox or vinegar, depending on how dirty everything is.
    I just make sure to let them dry before I take them out and use them.

Wow, really? It gets the gunk off?

If so, this is great news to me!

Quote Originally Posted by tygerkittn View Post
    I don't use dishwashing detergent, I use clorox or vinegar, depending on how dirty everything is.
    I just make sure to let them dry before I take them out and use them.
    How dirty are your dishes when you load them? Actually dirty, or rinsed 'clean'?

I've been wondering about this myself...

Default Tsp at the paint store

Tsp is sold most places that sell paint . Home depot and lowes usually have it. Sherwin Williams stores always have it.
    It is pretty cheap . It is bought dry and mixed with water to wash old paint before repainting. It Cleans and etches the existing paint so the new paint takes better .

TSP mixed with bleach is great for cleaning mildew as well.
    Thanx for the quantities for washing.
    I would rather die on my feet , than live on my knees. Emiliano Zapata

bbkaren... it is essentially a water softener. It has been banned in several states (or at least stores have been *strongly discouraged* from selling it!) because of the "environmental problems" they claim it causes. I suppose it's possible in some areas... the watershed for the Florida Everglades, for example. But where we live, our soils are SEVERELY deficient in phosphorus, and it seems stupid that we can't use it in detergents, etc... but in the meantime, we put many pounds per acre onto our land so crops will grow!

While it's been banned/removed from laundry detergents for several years now, it has been in dishwashing detergent until this past year. But they've forced its removal from that now, with the sole exception being detergents sold for "commercial use". Many, many people have gotten scammed into buying a new dishwasher in the past months because theirs suddenly "stopped working"... but it had nothing to do with the machine!! Arrghhh...

Anyway... the only TSP sold on the shelves in NY state is the "phosphate free" stuff... and you might as well not bother spending the time and effort... it's useless.

I stocked up on the "Miracle Cleaner" this spring, and I'm glad I did...

Summerthyme