Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Knead Rye Bread

Default No Knead Rye Bread

i made a loaf of the No Knead Rye Bread and i gotta say this is terrific! it seemed kinda like an odd recipe but it worked and the rye bread is great.

Super Easy No Fuss No Knead Rye Bread
    heres the recipe:

3 cups all purpose flour
    1 cup rye flour
    2 teaspoons salt
    3/8 teaspoons yeast
    2 tablespoon carroway seed (i use 3)
    2 cups warm water

mix dry ingredients in large bowl, make a 'well; in the center and slowly pour the water in and stir til it is completely mixed, no dry bits of flour at all. if you need to get a hand in there to help mix, go ahead, but mix it very well.

either cover your bowl or put in a large tupperware tub, cover lightly, do not seal it tight, and let it set out in a warm area for 18 hours. i make mine in the early afternoon so its ready to pop in the oven the next morning.

when ready to bake, take dough ball out and fold it four times. top to bottom, left to right, bottom to top, right to left. thats it.

let it rest and rise for 1.5 hours, covered lightly and out of any draft. i put mine in a dutch oven with a piece of parchment on the bottom of the dutch oven and set it near the wood stove for a bit of warmth.

after 1.5 hours, you are ready to bake.

if you want to put an egg wash on or make a few slashes on the top of the loaf this is the time to do it.

put the lid on the dutch oven pot and set it in a COLD oven.

yup, set it in a COLD oven. no Not preheated oven.

THEN turn oven on to 400 degrees and bake for 20 minutes.

after 20 minutes open the oven and take the lid of the pot off and bake for another 20 minutes. dont burn yourself doing this.

when done, take pot out, take loaf out of pot and let it cool completely before cutting. give the bottom of the loaf a few taps, if it spounds kinda hollow, it is done.

i have a dutch oven, and also a few of those heavy duty enamel coated pots with lids, i like using those. i also like using a bit of parchment paper for the bottom of the pot, and i use it a few times too.

this is a very easy no fuss rye bread. ive tried a heck of alot of recipes, and this one comes out the best. hope you enjoy it!

it comes out with a nice crusty top, if you prefer it softer but it in a bread bag to store, keeps it softer, thats what we like to do.
    There is Only Jesus--no other worthy of honors or prayers or devotion. Anything or anyone else are end times deceptions distracting us from fully knowing Christ. There is No Other.

CANNABIS MEDICINE RECIPES & INFO
    https://cannacancerblog.wordpress.com/blog/

Gotta have this one..too. Tried your bun recipe last night and they were just about as yummy and easy as they come...thanks for this too, have to try it...keep 'em coming!
    Old enough to remember

thanks, im glad you liked it. i got another mess of rye dough in the bowl doing its thing to bake tomorrow. i like this stuff. its nice to know there is a bread recipe i cant ruin, lol.
    There is Only Jesus--no other worthy of honors or prayers or devotion. Anything or anyone else are end times deceptions distracting us from fully knowing Christ. There is No Other.

Most bread can be done this way, though it turns out a bit better if you beat it for awhile either by hand or with a heavy-duty electric mixer. It makes what is called "batter-bread" and used to be the saving throw for busy house-wives in a hurry. It still tastes best if it has time to rise, which it will with lovely rustic holes in it and a nice chewy texture.

I think it would work especially well with a heavy flour like rye, because people expect rye breads to be heavy and dense, the 18 hour slow rise/sit will also attract wild yeast from the air, giving it a hint of sour-dough or old world "proofed bread." Most German and Eastern European bread kneaded or made without kneading is allowed to sit overnight to 24 hours to get that "proofed" taste. It also tends to make a denser and chewier loaf than most Americans would be used to; except people who live in places like San Francisco or certain communities on the East Coast with heavy Central European/German/Russian/Jewish influences on their local bread preferences.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

I have maybe a dumb question. Is there no sugar in the recipe to activate the yeast? I'm a novice bread maker and I always heard yeast had to have a bit of sugar to make the bread rise well. I haven't made bread in a long time because I can't have sugar (tho I did hear that the yeast eats up the sugar, I'd still prefer to try no sugar if possible). Thanks!

thats not a dumb question at all....in fact it made me wonder if i screwed up posting so i went back to check my original recipe.....nope, no sugar. just what is posted.

maybe because of the long rise time it doesnt need sugar? not sure, but it works. syou are safe with the no sugar, so give it a try and see if you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Purity View Post
    I have maybe a dumb question. Is there no sugar in the recipe to activate the yeast? I'm a novice bread maker and I always heard yeast had to have a bit of sugar to make the bread rise well. I haven't made bread in a long time because I can't have sugar (tho I did hear that the yeast eats up the sugar, I'd still prefer to try no sugar if possible). Thanks!
    You gotta try the Amish White bread recipe. It's around here somewhere. It's awesome.

That, and this method are the only 2 ways I've ever been able to make good bread.

clapping hands wildly! I asked for a dutch oven for Christmas and really hoping I get one so I can try out this! Thank you
    "the bad thing about knowing all of this...
    you can't 'unknow' it"

God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you...Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever". (Heb. 13:5,8, NIV)

Thank you! I am definitely going to try both this recipe and the Amish White Bread recipe next week. :)

I want to encourage those who don't have a dutch oven, but have a smaller pot to try this in the smaller pot (assuming it's not so small it won't hold the loaf).

Also assuming that this is always done in cast iron, the way the directions I first learned instructed.

I don't have a big one, just a 2 or 3 quart pot, and it worked just fine. Makes a higher loaf, which was always better for our purposes anyhoo.

I am sooooo curious to try this with parchment paper. One of the reasons I don't like making bread this way is it calls for using SO much cornmeal/oatbran that it's just ridiculous. It scorches a little, and I don't care for the smell of the scorched cornmeal. Blech.

It never even occurred to me to use paper or something else.