Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Add tsp to laundry and dishwasher to clean

Quote Originally Posted by Summerthyme View Post
    Carol.... this is the stuff, and the place I bought it.
    http://www.needs.com/product/Miracle...aundry_Booters

It's not cheap, but 5# goes a LONG way. (you can buy 1#, too, if 5# is too much)

Summerthyme
    thanx a bunch, I ordered it. Just great.
    (Have you started the book yet?)

Summer, yep; we figure it's on its way to a full ban here in NJ too so we bought a bunch while we could.

I don't worry about the impact my little couple tablespoons a week will have on the environment. I'm sure it's still used in industrial applications so until that's stopped, I'm using it.

When they stopped putting it in DW detergent, we almost got a new dishwasher because ours just completely stopped working. There was a haze on everything and even some grit.

Just in the nick of time, I found out what had made the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by DunDunDuuun View Post
    How dirty are your dishes when you load them? Actually dirty, or rinsed 'clean'?

I've been wondering about this myself...
    Dirty dirty dirty. I never rinse them before putting them in.
    It works about as well as dish detergent, if not better. We were starting to have real problems with detergent, it wasn't doing anything and I always had to re-wash, I very seldom have to re-wash anything now.
    I haven't missed dish detergent at all. We've saved a fortune doing this.
    Dish detergent used to work for me, I guess it stopped when they took the phosphates out. Before I switched to this I was getting really frustrated. I thought we needed a new dishwasher.

Quote Originally Posted by tygerkittn View Post
    Dirty dirty dirty. I never rinse them before putting them in.
    It works about as well as dish detergent, if not better. We were starting to have real problems with detergent, it wasn't doing anything and I always had to re-wash, I very seldom have to re-wash anything now.
    I haven't missed dish detergent at all. We've saved a fortune doing this.
    Dish detergent used to work for me, I guess it stopped when they took the phosphates out. Before I switched to this I was getting really frustrated. I thought we needed a new dishwasher.
    I've been feeling a hankering to stop using detergent - I'll try this - thanks.

Also want to try the Miracle Cleaner. If I mix it in a load w/ vinegar, will it explode?

I'm assuming it's pretty safe since they have instructions for adding it to your bath.

I *THINK* you should be ok mixing TSP or sodium hexametaphosphate with vinegar.

HOWEVER- DO NOT EVER mix chlorox or other chlorine based detergents with vinegar or any other acid!!! You create chlorine gas, and can badly burn your eyes or lungs within seconds.

"Miracle Cleaner" is exactly the same stuff as "Calgon" bath salts... without the scent. Anyone else remember the "Calgon, take me away!" ads?

Summerthyme

Quote Originally Posted by Summerthyme View Post
    I *THINK* you should be ok mixing TSP or sodium hexametaphosphate with vinegar.

HOWEVER- DO NOT EVER mix chlorox or other chlorine based detergents with vinegar or any other acid!!! You create chlorine gas, and can badly burn your eyes or lungs within seconds.

"Miracle Cleaner" is exactly the same stuff as "Calgon" bath salts... without the scent. Anyone else remember the "Calgon, take me away!" ads?

Summerthyme
    Yeah, that much I know b/c my mother nearly killed herself mixing... I think bleach & ammonia? I hate bleach. The smell is unbearable and makes me sick.

I used to use Calgon, back when I was single, and had the energy to do bubblebaths w/ candles and music.

Yes, bleach and ammonia are deadly. But too many people don't realize that bleach and ANY acid is nearly as bad.

We have a good friend who is a dairy farmer- he lost 90%+ of his vision when some acid based pipeline cleaner splashed into a container which had some chlorine based detergent. A real tragedy.

Summerthyme

I've done some experimenting with citric acid, TSP, etc. trying to get my mix right.

I can say when you mix TSP and citric acid and get it wet, it does foam and sizzle. I think I read somewhere that it turns into salt and they neutralize one another. Don't know how reliable my source was. I think it was a gun-cleaning website or somesuch.

So Tyger, give us the nitty gritty...how much vinegar? Or if using bleach, how much of that?

Anything special that needs done, or just pour it in the bottom?

Quote Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
    So Tyger, give us the nitty gritty...how much vinegar? Or if using bleach, how much of that?

Anything special that needs done, or just pour it in the bottom?
    I splash some over the flatware and then pour some in the bottom, I don't measure, I guess 1/4 to 1/2 cup?