Thread: Bison Chili

Default Bison Chili

This is a family favorite, especially when anyone is sick.I don't measure so this is not exact...

1 lb ground Bison ( beef can be used, Bison is my personal preference)
    1 onion (size depends on personal preference)
    4 cloves garlic

Brown meat (I add onions and garlic in this first step as well)
    drain, return to pan and add:

Lots of Cumin. (I don't measure but I do a good 15 shakes)
    the contents of 2 OregaMax capsules. ( I have read that most "oregano" sold in spice isles are actually a kind of Thyme. So I use the contents of these capsules to be sure I have WILD non GMO oregano.This is anti fungal,anti bacterial and anti viral )
    Lots of Cayenne Pepper.(8 or 9 shakes at this stage and then I add more as needed when chili is finished)
    Little Chili Powder (personally not a fan, so like 3 shakes)
    2 14.5 oz cans of diced tomatoes. (I use 1 can of Del Monte diced tomatoes with Basil, garlic and oregano and the other can is Del Monte diced tomatoes with jalapenos, just add the whole content of cans, DO NOT DRAIN THE LIQUID OUT OF THE CAN BEFORE ADDING TOMATOES)
    1 Can of Kidney beans rinsed( I prefer Goya but whatever)
    1 can of red beans rinsed( again I prefer Goya)

let this all simmer together for 20 to 30 minutes(until your onions are cooked and everything is warmed through) taste and add more garlic/ cayenne as needed. Lately I have been adding chopped jalepenos or Pepperoncini or both :) This chili is really good if you have a cold, sinus infection or just a stubborn stuffy nose.

I love Bison...I love making chili with it-but unfortunately it has gone to 10.99 per pound here-a little rich for my blood.

Quote Originally Posted by CapeCMom View Post
    I love Bison...I love making chili with it-but unfortunately it has gone to 10.99 per pound here-a little rich for my blood.
    I second that, CapeCMom.......we were given a lb of ground buffalo and made two burgers with it just this week. They were WONDERFUL, but I just can't afford bison or buffalo. I almost made chili instead but didn't want to cover up the meat with anything so that we could concentrate on savoring the meat itself.

I'll keep this recipe in mind if bison should go on sale, though! Thanks!

Love chili made with bison much richer tasting than ground beef and so much leaner.

It is expensive, but it is the one thing I will splurge on. Especially when we are feeling under the weather. I will go cheap as I can on steaks and chicken though.We do pasta every Monday night as it is cheap. Basically I am saying I will cut corners on other meals to make it possible. I love it that much

I don't blame you-It's a nice thing to splurge on-but I just bought prime rib for Christmas for less money per lb. I used to be able to buy bison for 6.99 for two pounds at BJ's. Now it has shot up to 10.99 per pound.....bison is so good for you-less fat etc. I wish it hadn't gone up like that-I used to make bison chili all of the time! Thanks for the recipe tho

Quote Originally Posted by CapeCMom View Post
    I don't blame you-It's a nice thing to splurge on-but I just bought prime rib for Christmas for less money per lb. I used to be able to buy bison for 6.99 for two pounds at BJ's. Now it has shot up to 10.99 per pound.....bison is so good for you-less fat etc. I wish it hadn't gone up like that-I used to make bison chili all of the time! Thanks for the recipe tho
    Last week at Kroger I saw a lb that was marked down for 3$, then left without going back to put it in my cart! I could have kicked myself!

Welcome MamaDel, good to see you here!