Thread: Homemade pasta

Default Homemade pasta

As my son got me the pasta machine I'd requested for Christmas, now I need to make some pasta! I have hard red wheat and soft white wheat--also all-purpose flour. I'm planning on egg noodles--primarily because we have rib roast bone soup on the stove. Noodles would be nice.
    Does anyone have any advice or suggestions? I've never done it. Never seen it done. Thanks.

I'd start with all purpose flour... makes a little easier-to-handle dough at first. You can graduate to whole wheat, etc later. For real "pasta" (ie: spaghetti or other commercial pastas) you need durham wheat... a very different type wheat. But you can make great egg noodles from plain flour.

Here is a good, basic recipe to start with:
    http://www.food.com/recipe/delicious...-noodles-95311

Have fun!

Summerthyme

What Summer said....

For true 'pasta', you need the hard durham or semolina flour, both of which should be easily found at your grocery store.

Also, keep in mind, that you can dry that pasta for later use..... great prepper item.
    "I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.
    Thomas Payne

Dunno which machine you have, but this is a video showing "how", step by step.
    Good luck! (He used rice flour to keep it from asticking, but I've used regular AP flour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9LHk0AJI7U

Quote Originally Posted by liteluvr View Post
    What Summer said....

For true 'pasta', you need the hard durham or semolina flour, both of which should be easily found at your grocery store.

Also, keep in mind, that you can dry that pasta for later use..... great prepper item.
    I was always told to make a mix of half semolina and half regular flour for the best pasta. I've got a new one, too and need to try it out..rosie

I bought a pasta machine brand new in the box at the thrift store for $5.
    Some people are only alive because there are laws against killing them.