Thread: Tortilla chips and noodles

Default Tortilla chips and noodles

My first venture into making noodles turned out--okay. I had the dough way to wet at the beginning. I don't think that I've ever worked with a dough so dry. Having a curious 6-year-old helper did not make it any easier!
    Do you eat them fresh, or dry them and then cook them? If you dry them, do they have to be frozen? Next step help please?
    I've also considered making tortilla chips with the pasta maker. Has anyone done that? Recipes? Tips? My son and I both love them and the organic ones are expensive.

I use the noodles both fresh and dried. I let them dry about half an hour, then cook them. When I dry them, after they're thoroughly dried, I store them in an airtight container on the shelf. I've kept them as long as 6 months and they were fine.

Sorry I can't help with the tortilla chip question, but I'll be watching this thread because I'd like to know, too.
    Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are. ~Author Unknown

Short answer on the tortilla chips would be to use a tortilla press.
    I'm not sure a pasta maker would work, because (at least with corn tortillas), there's no gluten to bind the meal together. That's the advantage of a tortilla press. Gravity works for you, and not against you.

Amazon has good ones for ~$13 brand new.
    "I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.
    Thomas Payne

Default whole wheat torilla chips

3 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (sub. with corn meal if you prefer)
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 3/4 cups lukewarm water
    additional flour for kneading ( or corn meal)
    sesame oil for brushing.

combine all together into a large bowl, mix to form a dough. place dough on floured counter knead with additional flour until smooth, not sticky. cover dough and let rest for two hours. cut dough in 10 or so pieces and roll into a ball. keep dough covered when you are not working with it. roll your dough into a VERY thin round brush with oil, place on a stone and bake at 500. A few minutes.
    I've added taco season, zesty ranch and many other powered mixes to the dough. We enjoy these and no longer buy chips.