Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: seriously good dinner rolls

Default seriously good dinner rolls

I thought I saw someone asking about dinner rolls recently and I wanted to share this recipe, they are so soft and delicious, I cannot remember where I got this recipe, but we love it and I make them quite often.

2 cups whole milk, can use 2% but whole is best.
    1/2 cup (+ 1 Tablespoon sugar, divided)
    1/3 cup ( 5 1/3 Tablespoon butter)
    2 teaspoons kosher salt
    2 packages active dry yeast (or 4 1/2 teaspoons) instant
    2/3 cup warm (105-115 degree water)
    8-9 cups all purpose flour
    3 beaten eggs

Combine milk, 1/2 cup sugar, butter and salt in medium saucepan. heat over medium heat just until butter melts, remove from heat and let cool to lukewarm.

disolve yeast and the 1 tablespoon sugar in the 2/3 cup warm water. let stand 10 minutes.

In large mixing bowl, combine 3 cups flour and add cooled milk mixture.
    Beat on low for 30 seconds scraping bowl, then add yeast mixture and beat on high for 3 full minutes.
    stir in beaten eggs.

stir in as much of the remaining flour needed to make a soft dough. ( I rarely use 9 cups, but just depends..) the dough should be quite soft, will come away from sides of bowl, but will still feel sticky to your finger.
    no worries, it firms up during rising...I tend to hand mix just enough flour to get it to just pull from sides, then add remaining flour needed on the bread board so I don't add too much. you want these to be light.

place bowl in a warm place and cover. allow to rise 1 hour (this dough rises slow for me in the winter...)

Punch dough down.
    Lightly flour bread board and turn dough onto surface and knead a few times.
    divide in half.

spray two 9 x 13 glass pans with cooking spray.

Roll first portion of dough into rectangle and then cut into 12 equal size pieces. shape each into a ball and place into pan.

Half of the dough makes 12 large rolls, so you can make them smaller.
    (I typically take the other half and make scrumptious cinnabon type rolls with it.. will post that recipe if anyone wants it)

Cover rolls and let rise in warm place 30-60 min's.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees
    Bake 15- 18 minutes or until golden brown.
    when done rub a stick of cold butter/margarine over the tops of the rolls.

these are sooo good!

as close as you can get to Atlanta and still have chickens

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyvet View Post
    (I typically take the other half and make scrumptious cinnabon type rolls with it.. will post that recipe if anyone wants it)
    yes please!
    Respect God. Love your family. What else is there?

Oh my...these sounds scrumptious, and yes, please, please, please...the other recipe?

Rachel (who has no need of carbohydrates, but loves dessert and yeasty breads )
    "For the time will come when people will not tolerate sound doctrine, but, following their own desires will surround themselves with teachers who tickle their ears. They will stop listening to the truth and wander off to fables." (2 Timothy 4:3-4).

Default cinnamon roll recipe using dinner roll dough, yum!

I prolly don't need carbs either, but I need my winter fat to keep warm, lol
    If you make up the dinner rolls and halve that dough you will have enough dough to make 9x13 pan of cinnamon rolls.
    (The cinnamon rolls are large so if you want smaller ones, I would halve the dough again and make into two cinnamon roll logs ... sounds confusing but will make sense after reading the directions).

Cinnamon Rolls
    while the dough is rising make the filling

Cinnamon Filling

1/2 cup ( 1 stick) butter at room temp, (set aside 2 Tablespoons to melt and brush on top of rolls when they come out of oven)
    3/4 Cup packed brown sugar
    1 Tablespoon cinnamon

Cream butter, brown sugar and cinnamon together until combined and fluffy. It will be on the thick side. (When I substituted margarine it tended to make the filling run to the bottom, but will work).

Once the dough has risen, punch it down,(halve for more, smaller rolls) lightly flour the bread board and roll the dough out into a rectangle.

cover the dough with the cinnamon mixture and roll up from the long side. pinch seam closed along length.
    I take a knife and make slight cuts on top so the slices come out equal.
    then take dental floss, (any kind works, even flavored) slide underneath the roll, pull up and it will make your slices clean without 'squishing' the rolls...
    place in 13x9 pan that has been sprayed with cooking oil, cover and let rise in warm place.
    preheat oven to 375 degrees, bake for 15-20 minutes, watch for the middles to be done, don't overbake. brush rolls with melted butter. let cool for 5-8 minutes before glazing.

Cream cheese glaze

2 Tablespoons melted butter
    1 cup powdered sugar
    2-3 tablespoons cream cheese
    1 teaspoon Vanilla

mix togther and adjust consistancy if needed and after rolls have cooled for 5 minutes or so, top the rolls with the glaze and eat one right away, lol

Plain Glaze

2 Tablespoons melted butter
    1 cup powdered sugar
    2 tablespoons milk or cream
    1 teaspoon vanilla

hope the directions are clear enough, any questions, let me know, these are really excellent and look great too.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyvet View Post
    I thought I saw someone asking about dinner rolls recently and I wanted to share this recipe, they are so soft and delicious, I cannot remember where I got this recipe, but we love it and I make them quite often.

2 cups whole milk, can use 2% but whole is best.
    1/2 cup (+ 1 Tablespoon sugar, divided)
    1/3 cup ( 5 1/3 Tablespoon butter)
    2 teaspoons kosher salt
    2 packages active dry yeast (or 4 1/2 teaspoons) instant
    2/3 cup warm (105-115 degree water)
    8-9 cups all purpose flour
    3 beaten eggs

Combine milk, 1/2 cup sugar, butter and salt in medium saucepan. heat over medium heat just until butter melts, remove from heat and let cool to lukewarm.

disolve yeast and the 1 tablespoon sugar in the 2/3 cup warm water. let stand 10 minutes.

In large mixing bowl, combine 3 cups flour and add cooled milk mixture.
    Beat on low for 30 seconds scraping bowl, then add yeast mixture and beat on high for 3 full minutes.
    stir in beaten eggs.

stir in as much of the remaining flour needed to make a soft dough. ( I rarely use 9 cups, but just depends..) the dough should be quite soft, will come away from sides of bowl, but will still feel sticky to your finger.
    no worries, it firms up during rising...I tend to hand mix just enough flour to get it to just pull from sides, then add remaining flour needed on the bread board so I don't add too much. you want these to be light.

place bowl in a warm place and cover. allow to rise 1 hour (this dough rises slow for me in the winter...)

Punch dough down.
    Lightly flour bread board and turn dough onto surface and knead a few times.
    divide in half.

spray two 9 x 13 glass pans with cooking spray.

Roll first portion of dough into rectangle and then cut into 12 equal size pieces. shape each into a ball and place into pan.

Half of the dough makes 12 large rolls, so you can make them smaller.

Cover rolls and let rise in warm place 30-60 min's.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees
    Bake 15- 18 minutes or until golden brown.
    when done rub a stick of cold butter/margarine over the tops of the rolls.

these are sooo good!
    My wife has wanted to make bread for awhile now but has been afraid to do it.

I think that this is going to be a good exercise for us both! gonna try it tomorrow! :)
    thanks!
    “The ultimate result of shielding man from the effects of his folly is to fill the world with fools.”
    Herbert Spencer

Towerclimber,

it sounds like your wife would be new to breadmaking?

if so, I have what I call a no-fail yeast batter bread recipe that is great for firstimers (and this oldtimer too, lol)...

folks new to bread making tend to give up if the bread doesn't turn out well for them, it's always good to have successes at first of course, but either way the more you make it the easier it gets and flour is cheap enough (at the moment) to make it worth getting the practice for the future.

let me know and I will post it, I did a search and looks like I haven't posted it on this forum..

I'm not towerclimber, but would LOVE it if you would post the recipe!

I've been failing at breadmaking for nearly 20 years... I'm not the greatest in the kitchen. LOL

Luvmyvet- I would love to try your first timer one...

I have used a bread machine forever but want to try the old fashioned way! thanks.
    Snowsquaw

“It has always seemed strange to me… the things we admire in men, kindness and generosity, openness, honesty, understanding and feeling, are the concomitants of failure in our system. And those traits we detest, sharpness, greed, acquisitiveness, meanness, egotism and self-interest, are the traits of success. And while men admire the quality of the first they love the produce of the second.”John Steinbeck

ok, here is the recipe...I post it at most every forum I visit, lol, so apologies if this is a repeat...

This recipe is very forgiving, quick, adaptable and is yummie for a quick yeast bread. I found it when having a bad bout of carpal tunnel that kept me from kneading the dough...

Batter Yeast Bread recipe, (no kneading)
    makes two loaves
    Ingredients:

• 6-1/2 cups all purpose flour ( I have used different types, half fresh ground, half all purpose, all bread flour, etc)
    • 2 packages active dry yeast (I use about 2 1/2 Tablespoons instant)
    • 3 tablespoons sugar
    • 1 tablespoon salt
    • 3 cups warm water
    • 2 tablespoons butter (can substitute, marg./oil/olive oil)but will give a bit different taste/texture)
    • More butter for the top after baking
    Preparation:

In a large bowl, combine 3-1/2 cups flour, yeast, sugar and salt; mix well.
    Add the warm water and 2 tablespoons butter; blend at low speed until combined, then beat 3 minutes at medium speed.

Gradually stir in rest of flour by hand to make a stiff batter. (it isn't really stiff, more like a very thick cake batter)

Cover and let rise until double, about 1/2 hour.

Stir down batter and spread in two greased 9x5-inch loaf pans.

Cover and let rise until batter reaches the tops of the pans, about 20-30 minutes.
    Bake in preheated 375 degrees F oven for 35-40 minutes until golden brown and firm.
    Remove from pans and brush tops with butter.

Can use olive oil, and add herbs, rosemary, whole/chopped garlic is quite good or garlic/ italian seasonings.
    I have fun with the recipe.
    If not in a hurry I let it rise twice before putting in pans for the final rise, it helps make a tighter "crumb"
    the top doesn't get dark nor do you want it to, if unsure if bread is done, flip one out of the pan, knock on the bottom, if sounds hollow, it's done.
    Let me know how it turns out for you.

Bump!