Thread: Spicy Jalapeno bread recipe needed

Default Spicy Jalapeno bread recipe needed

When my Mom visited for the holidays I bought some wonderful jalapeno "Fred Bread" in Huntsville, Alabama that had a real bite to it, knowing that she loves hot foods. It was a little too hot for me, but she loved it, so I found a jalapeno bread recipe on the internet for her to try when she returned home to Oklahoma. She made it, and it doesn't have much flavor at all. She said it just tasted like plain white bread.

I know there are a lot of jalapeno bread recipes online, but I'd hate to send her another bland one, and we wouldn't know until she made it.

Does anyone here have a recipe for jalapeno bread that you know is spicy hot that I can share with my Mom? I believe her bread machine can only handle 1-pound loaves, because that recipe overflowed and she had a real mess.

Thanks!
    Check out my handcrafted jewelry: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Lumara
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality." - Ayn Rand

Is this a yeast bread or a quick bread?
    Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are. ~Author Unknown

Yeast bread.
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality." - Ayn Rand

Ok. Then it's not the recipe I have.
    Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are. ~Author Unknown

Darn.

Here's the recipe I'm gonna try. The ingredients are consistent with the Fred's Bread philosophy (i.e., no weird chemistry-set stuff), and the reviews are uniformly excellent:

Cheddar Jalapeño Bread Gourmet | March 2007

The dough for this recipe is wetter than many home bakers may be used to, but the end result is a delightfully moist, textured bread.

Yield: Makes 1 loaf
    Active Time: 20 min
    Total Time: 6 3/4 hr

1 teaspoon active dry yeast (less than a 1/4-ounce package)

1 3/4 cups plus 1 tablespoon warm water (105-115°F)

4 cups all-purpose flour plus additional for dusting

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1/4 cup olive oil

3 tablespoons chopped fresh jalapeño, including seeds and ribs, plus 2 tablespoons chopped fresh jalapeño, without seeds and ribs (from 3 medium total)

5 ounces coarsely grated extra-sharp Cheddar (1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons)

1 1/2 ounces finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (3/4 cup)

1 large egg, beaten with a pinch of salt

Special equipment: a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment

Stir together yeast and 1 tablespoon warm water in a small bowl; let mixture stand until foamy, about 5 minutes. (If it doesn't foam, discard and start over with new yeast.)

Mix together flour, salt, oil, yeast mixture, and remaining 1 3/4 cups warm water in bowl of mixer at low speed until a soft dough forms. Increase speed to medium-high and beat 3 minutes more. Add jalapeño, 1 1/2 cups Cheddar, and 1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano and mix until combined.

Scrape dough down side of bowl (all around) into center, then sprinkle lightly with flour. Cover bowl with a clean kitchen towel (not terry cloth) to keep a crust from forming and let dough rise in a draft-free place at warm room temperature until doubled in bulk, 2 to 2 1/2 hours. (Alternatively,let dough rise in bowl in refrigerator 8 to 12 hours.)

Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface and gently form into a roughly 11- by 8-inch rectangle with floured hands.

Fold dough in thirds (like a letter) with floured hands (dough will be sticky), pressing along seam of each fold to seal.

Put dough, seam side down, in an oiled 9- by 5-inch loaf pan. Cover pan with same clean kitchen towel and let dough rise in a draft-free place at warm room temperature until dough completely fills pan and rises above it slightly, 1 to 1 1/4 hours.

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 400°F.

Brush loaf with egg, then sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons Cheddar and remaining 1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano down center of loaf.

Bake until bread is golden and sounds hollow when tapped on bottom, 50 minutes to 1 hour. Run a knife around edge of pan to loosen loaf, then remove from pan to test for doneness.

Return bread (not in pan) to oven and turn on its side, then bake 10 minutes more to crisp crust. Cool completely on a rack, about 1 1/2 hours.

Epicurious.com © Condé Nast Digital, Inc. All rights reserved.

All best,
    Cyberiot

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig. –Robert Heinlein