Thread: chicken & dumplings

Default chicken & dumplings

I can't seem to find a canning recipe for chicken/dumplings. The recipe for chicken says 10 lbs pressure for 75 min. Is this right. I'm VERY new to pressure canning (this is my second time), all help is appreciated. Oh, I didn't blow up the kitchen on my first try, sweet taters, but did get all the dogs out of the kitchen......just in case.

Shouldn't can dumplings (flour) and probably would be yucky if you did.

Chicken pints 75 minutes
    Qts 1.30 minutes

I Make the dumplings when I open the jar of chicken
    Hope that helps
    Jo

Yes, it helps very much. I did not know that one could not can anything with flour. Does the same apply to rice?

Let's put it this way... you won't like the results if you try to can soup with rice... and if you mean actually canning a rice dish (some sort of casserole or pilaf, maybe?)... no, there aren't any safe times for something like that. And, like the soup, the texture would be more than weird.

I HAVE canned chicken/rice soup, but I've never found a method which doesn't leave the rice "exploded" into giant particles. Given that white rice cooks up in boiling soup in 10 minutes or so, it makes the most sense to simply can the soup without it, and then toss in a handful of rice or noodles when reheating it.

PLEASE.... get a Ball Blue Book and use it. If something isn't in that book, or at least in a similar form (IOW, if you can find bean soup, but not bean with bacon, you can use the bean soup times for your "bean with bacon" soup recipe), it probably is considered unsafe to can. Some of us here have been canning so long that we've watched several things go from "approved" to "not approved"... and yes, some of us continue to can those items. Pumpkin puree is one that I always have done.. and I'm not going to stop now just because apparently some newbies couldn't follow directions well enough to do it safely! LOL!

But when you're starting, get a newish, approved book like the Ball Blue Book mentioned above, and use IT for your "Bible". DO NOT trust internet sites which aren't affiliated with various Cooperative extension programs, no matter how pretty the pictures or enticing the photo sequences are! Double check any of them with an approved source.

Summerthyme

Default Musings: The big food storage re-organization

Sorry, wrong thread.
    Last edited by Faroe; 01-18-2012 at 12:35 PM. Reason: mistake in placement

thank you Summer, will certainly purchase the book.