Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Union Creek Journal

timbo, that vignette reminds me of a story told by one of my engineering professors, some fifty years ago. My machine-design prof. He'd spent a summer working at one of the major manufacturers of light bulbs. At the end the summer, his boss visited as an exit interview. Asked if he had any questions, he did have one: He'd noticed two or three rather young guys who never seemed to do any work. Always just sat around their offices.

"Oh," said the boss, "We hired them to think." (About new products, of course, or improvements in the machinery.)
    You're from BATFE? Come right in! I use all your fine products!

Who ends up as Gator Bait today in The Journal?

Enjoy!

Michigan, my Michigan.
    All this water and no gators..............good.

I have a friend who grew up near the Okefenokee. He showed me some photos of some truly monstrous gators. The largest I ever saw myself was at Texas Jim's Snake Farm at Sarasota, Florida, back around 1950. I didn't argue at the claim of 18' in length, and 3,000 pounds.
    You're from BATFE? Come right in! I use all your fine products!

Take a look Under the Hood today in The Journal.

Enjoy!

Hopefully we will all have at least one wise leader in our groups.

Quote Originally Posted by timbo View Post
    Hopefully we will all have at least one wise leader in our groups.
    Indeed. Hood, Johnson and others face decisions that require the wisdom of Solomon. Cut the baby in half? The true mother screams, "No! Let the other woman take him."

What is The Value of Despair? Find out in today's Journal.

Enjoy!

Very thought provoking Mud.

I've been involved in different organizations that somewhere they have posted their 'goals'.

Many times I've read them and say............So what? Way too high-falutin to be any good for running an organization.

But your story has raised my consciousness to, what seems a higher ideal.

Different visuals come to my mind. One, the donkey with a rider holding a carrot out at the end of a stick on a string. Simple, but that was what came to mind first.

There is also that visual of perhaps 20 people around a table with someone manning the chalkboard or whatever and each member speaks up about what they want the organization to stand for, what is the core beliefs and it's written down. Brainstorming that is then refined over and over until it gets down to one,two or three short sentences that define the true core of that organization.

I've been one of those 20 or so members from time to time and when we were done, and the consensus satisfied the group, we then could go on and start the 'meat' of the organization.

No wonder our faith and larger goals that steer us through the unknown are written in stone. The 10 commandments of course come to mind.

But also the words that are cut in stone on the U.S. Supreme Court Building.

The highest ideals that can't be erased. Forgotten at times, but never erased.

Sorry, got long again.

What's the significance of a Name Tape?

Enjoy!

Thanks for your thoughts, timbo. You're spot on, I believe.