Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Farp's Holy Grail Rub and Holy Grail Sauce

Default Farp's Holy Grail Rub and Holy Grail Sauce

I posted this on another forum and thought some here may like to make perfect ribs... For the record--there won't be any leftovers.

Farp’s Holy Grail Rub and Holy Grail Sauce

The quest for perfect smoked pork ribs is unending. And as it is a matter of taste, the goal will never be realized. Still, the fun and enjoyment is in the journey. Becoming a Pellethead (pellet grills are wonderful--I have a Green Mountain Grill daniel Boone) is just another rung on the ladder to perfection.

Among the many obstacles along the way are the preferences of the disparate audiences a Pellethead may face. Some of our critics want dry ribs. Others prefer a wet mop. There are people who will say they do not like a rub. Our quest is confusing—rub, no rub, sauce, no sauce, cooked on sauce, sauce on the side—how can we please everyone at the table?

The Farpster studied the challenge. The search has spanned many years; but apart from competition ribs, I believe I have found the basis for the Holy Grail of Ribs.

I wanted to create a recipe that would include both a rub and a sauce. After all, what’s the fun in having a pellet grill if we can’t utilize all of the accompaniments in orchestrating a delicious delight? Next, I wanted a result that blew away the “World Famous Ribs” at a local restaurant. Further, the results needed to receive the highest accolades of the most sophisticated connoisseurs in my extended family while being suitable for the grandkids.

With too many racks to count in testing, I believe I have achieved the unachievable. The regional restaurants no longer sell ribs to anyone in my extended family. When my adult friends go out to eat now, they order steak or seafood; and at our house, the grandkids ask for “the meat with bones,” and end up with a sticky smear from their chins to their eyebrows.

To state it plainly, my rub and sauce recipes are the “Can’t Go Wrong” foundations that anyone can use to please anyone and everyone, just as they are. They can also be used as the perfect bases to which your preferred or secret ingredients can be added to pump them up in any flavor direction.

But for me, they are perfect the way they are, not only for ribs, but also for chicken. I no longer need to pay inflated prices for store-bought rubs to grill Unforgettable Ribs. And the commercial sauces that can be overpowering to some and under-flavored for others is a thing of the past. And because these recipes are close to perfection as judged by everyone who has tried them, I have aptly named them.

You may need different recipes for certain audiences; but if you need to please the masses, you will want to use the Holy Grail Rub and Holy Grail Sauce.

HOLY GRAIL RUB --------------------------HOLY GRAIL SAUCE
    8 T – Paprika --------------------------------¼ C - Ketchup
    4 T – Salt ---------------------------------------¼ C – BBQ Sauce (Sweet Baby Ray’s Hickory $ Brown Sugar)
    5 T – Black Pepper -----------------------------1 T – Worchester Sauce
    1 T – Dried Basil -------------------------------- 1 T – Brown Sugar
    4 T – Garlic Powder ------------------------------1 T – Maple Syrup
    3 T – Onion Powder -------------------------------1 T - Molasses
    2 T – Dried Oregano
    1 T – White Pepper
    2 T – Dried Thyme
    1 t – White Sugar
    1 T – Brown Sugar
    1 T – Dry Mustard
    1 T – Red Chili Powder

Optional – to taste
    3 T – Cayenne Pepper, and/or
    1 t – Ground Cumin

The rub stores well for weeks/months and may be applied just prior to grilling. The sauce goes on the last 30 minutes, or until caramelized. Happy smoking!

Just one more comment for TOL'ers--if you use the recipes, please send 10 bucks to HW, and we will all be better served...Thanks!

Sheesh...I think I killed my own thread...

Oh, well, maybe someone tried it and liked it...

Nah, ya done good Farp. I'm gonna try it and have it printed out. Thanks

Farp, I make my own sauce that everybody around here thinks is pretty darn good. I bet if I combined it with your dry rub I'd knock their socks off. I'm going to print it off and try it next time I do a slab of ribs. Thanks
    For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: Walk as children of light.

Default When

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    Farp, I make my own sauce that everybody around here thinks is pretty darn good. I bet if I combined it with your dry rub I'd knock their socks off. I'm going to print it off and try it next time I do a slab of ribs. Thanks
    When, not if, you do, post a pic and send your recipe

Thanks for posting this, it sounds very similar to a "secret" recipe I've been trying to duplicate for years...
    The Lord does not let the righteous go hungry,
    but he thwarts the craving of the wicked.
    Prov 10:3

Butchered up a few bunnies and tried this recipe on them. Mmmmmm! This was awesome! Can't wait to try it on a rack of ribs.

Liberty is offline Tree of Liberty Supporter

Sure looks good, and will try these next time.

Now, how do you cook the perfect ribs in the oven? Mine never come out tender and falling off the bones.

Thanks!

Default Cooking

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty View Post
    Sure looks good, and will try these next time.

Now, how do you cook the perfect ribs in the oven? Mine never come out tender and falling off the bones.

Thanks!
    Good job, Kadosh!

I grill the ribs with indirect heat--put them in the back of a Weber with only the front burner going, keeping the temp at about 300*. This goes for about 3 hours, depending on the wind, rib thickness, etc (2.5 to 3.5 hours is a window--look at the ribs and you'll know when "it's time"). I put the sauce on for another 30 minutes at about 275*, until it caramelizes.

Use the rub and sauce for however you may do the cooking/grilling. They're not overpowering, and I think you'll like the flavors.

But I'm changing all of my cooking techniques. I just bought a Green Mountain Grill pellet smoker. I can hardly wait.
    Last edited by Farp; 02-04-2012 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Add

Default Over a Thousand Reads

Okay--let's be honest, heh, heh.

There are more than 1000 reads here. SOME of those are because some of you have tried the rubs and sauce and liked it enough to send your friends here--am I right?

Yep--knew I was. AND, they found the Holy Grail Rub and/or Sauce was as good as advertised--am I right?

Yep--knew I was.

Others have taken the baseline recipe and added their own kickers, arriving at a whole new beauty of their own secret rub and/or secret sauce--am I right?

Yep--knew I was.

Well, I want you to know that it was my original desire to give you all the baseline ingredients so you could have a great meal. BUT--not pork butt--just but...the original agreement was that everyone who used the recipes made a solemn agreement--per the original post--to send HW a 10-spot...10 bucks...ten samolees.

So...let me ask...those of you who tried the recipes and had a great meal (plus many more to come)...did you fulfill your end of the deal?

The Tree of Liberty is singly the best source of information on the web for me. I do not have unlimited funds, but I do have some things to share. When I do, and if the things I share have any value to you, the only thing I ask is that you feed the Tree (not me). I would be very appreciative if you let HW know by sending in your contribution and let him know it was because the Farpster provided something you valued enough to do so.

We have so many people here with so many talents better than mine; but those talents can only be transferred with a forum such as this. Please do your part...and THANKS to each of you who do so.

I should add...the #2 grandkid, who I call "Scooter" for a reason, lol, was here this weekend. I made some "meat with bones" using the recipe as shown above. Scooter reaffirmed the recipe is mouth-wateringly good. He had BBQ sauce from his chin to his eyebrows! Each arm was sticky to his elbows! What're you waiting for? Whup up your Holy Grail Ribs--and feed the Tree along with yourself...lol.

Thank you, and G-d Bless you. And G-d Bless the Tree.
    Last edited by Farp; 03-11-2012 at 08:06 PM. Reason: spelling