Thread: Do it Yourself Rotisserie Chicken

Default Do it Yourself Rotisserie Chicken

Hmmm...who loves those rotisserie chickens from the deli?! We do , but they're pretty expensive, so when I found this I decided to post for you all too. I can't wait to try it!

Ingredients

• 4 teaspoons salt
    • 2 teaspoons paprika
    • 1 teaspoon onion powder
    • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
    • 1 teaspoon white pepper
    • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    • 2 onions, quartered
    • 2 (4 pound) whole chickens

Directions

• In a small bowl, mix together salt, paprika, onion powder, thyme, white pepper, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder. Remove and discard giblets from chicken. Rinse chicken cavity, and pat dry with paper towel. Rub each chicken inside and out with spice mixture. Place 1 onion into the cavity of each chicken. Place chickens in a resealable bag or double wrap with plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight, or at least 4 to 6 hours.
    • Preheat oven to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C).
    • Place chickens in a roasting pan. Bake uncovered for 5 hours, to a minimum internal temperature of 180 degrees F (85 degrees C). Let the chickens stand for 10 minutes before carving.

*apparently this also works with an already cut up chicken, can be doubled, etc. I found it, finally, at allrecipes.com .

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/roast-s...le/detail.aspx

I tried this recipe a couple of weeks ago. It was 'OK', but still not quite like the ones we get at the store. I'm starting to think that they must inject marinade into the meat before roasting. The flavor from this recipe was great on the skin, but since I don't eat the skin I removed it and there was surprisingly little flavor in the meat...and this is after I let the birds sit in the fridge with the spice rub for nearly 24 hours before baking. Still a good recipe, but I'm still looking for that 'magic' one.

The rub needs to go under the skin as well as on the skin.
    Use the mixture for one chicken, not two.
    Add 1 tsp dried Rosemary to the mix.
    'A person with an experience is never at the mercy of a person with an argument,'" writes von Campe

Not to split hairs, but depending on how they cook it, what you get at the store might not be a 'rotisserie' chicken.

A rotisserie is a cooking device that rotates the food on a central axis in front of or above the heat source. Because the food is firmly afixed to the center rod, all sides of the food are exposed to the heat uniformly, and the constant rotation keeps the juices centered in the meat, thereby enhancing the moisture content and flavor.

Nowadays what passes at the store for a 'rotisserie' cooker is a device where trays of meat are circulated through a cooker with the meat and trays always in the same orientation.

In other words, an oven.

Properly marinated and seasoned, you can easily get the same results in your own oven.

But if you ever have a real rotisserie chicken, you'll understand the differences immediately. When they're on sale, I'll buy the whole bone-in turkey breasts and rotisserie cook them on my grill. I mix melted butter and honey together and inject into each breast, then sprinkle a mixture of lemon pepper, garlic powder and seasoned salt generously on the skin. Cook on the rotisserie for about 90 minutes or so (thermometer in the meat needs to read 168 degrees at least).
    Some of the best turkey I've ever eaten.

Just felt compelled to demystify the hype from the grocery store.
    "I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.
    Thomas Payne

I have a rotisserie, but rotisserie chickens at Sam's are $5. Frozen chickens are $5. Not very cost effective here!
    I only use it for turkey breasts when I get a good sale on them, I'll try this recipe next time I do.

Great thread and ideas, thanks!

I use the seasoning from the OP (Mimi's Sticky Chicken), but just sprinkle the chicken liberally inside and out, then roast it at 450 degrees for 30 minutes, reduce the temp to 325 and roast until done. It comes out tender and juicy in a much shorter time.
    Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are. ~Author Unknown

I thought that it was this

but I guess that would be in the Workshop!

We've used this for years - it's called "Sticky Chicken". For best results, you need to baste the chicken every half hour or so as it's roasting. It's divine!

(Addendum - I use more garlic powder than the recipe calls for. Very easy to customize it to your family's tastes.)
    "Rend your heart and not your garments." Joel 2:13