Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Baby Pictures

grower is offline Tree of Liberty Contributor

Smile Baby Pictures

I thought I'd start a thread for all us homesteader-types to post our "baby pictures" -- kids, lambs, chicks, calves, piglets, whatever your farm is welcoming into the world this year! I'm posting some pictures of my goat kids to start it off.

Below are some Kiko-Nubian cross kids -- brother and sister. The big guy is the 2-year-old buck that LMonty sold me last year. That boy knew his business -- 4 of the 5 does all kidded in the past 10 days!

Just a word about the Kikos....
    My son's 3-year-old Kiko doe (meat goat) is the mother of those two kids above. All the other 4 does are Nubian or LaMancha (dairy goats). While the dairy does hang out at the hay feeder and seem to frequently lose track of where their kids are, the Kiko is very independent and self-sufficient. She takes her kids out in the field, feeds them, then leaves them in a cozy place while she goes off to forage. The kids, too, seem more robust and active than the dairy kids.

I would make this suggestion for survival livestock....unless you want a lot of milk, I would go with Kikos or Kiko-cross goats, simply because they thrive with less human intervention and produce meaty kids and plentiful milk. You can milk a Kiko if you want to, but that's just not their primary function.
    IF you are willing & obedient , you shall eat the good of the land: But if you refuse & rebel, You shall be devoured with the sword: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it. Isaiah 1:19, 20

Liberty is offline Tree of Liberty Supporter

Awwwww. So tiny and adorable.

Thanks for posting; they're so cute! I posted some of ours in a different thread, but these are more recent photos. We're totally new to goats, and these little girls came much earlier than the due date we were told, on the first day of a major ice storm. But they're doing great now! They are mini Nubians, which is a perfect breed for us...not too small or large, very gentle disposition. Even the buck is gentle, and while they're a bit stubborn :) (drives dh crazy...LOL!) they're really no trouble; don't try to escape, or chew anything they're not supposed to. And these babies were up & at it right away...much easier than puppies IMHO!

(I don't know how to put the photos into the post itself; they always come up thumbnails?)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by hisbluelady; 02-03-2012 at 11:35 AM. Reason: add something

Sweet babies! Do you plan to milk?
    IF you are willing & obedient , you shall eat the good of the land: But if you refuse & rebel, You shall be devoured with the sword: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it. Isaiah 1:19, 20

Quote Originally Posted by hisbluelady View Post
    Thanks for posting; they're so cute! I posted some of ours in a different thread, but these are more recent photos. We're totally new to goats, and these little girls came much earlier than the due date we were told, on the first day of a major ice storm. But they're doing great now! They are mini Nubians, which is a perfect breed for us...not too small or large, very gentle disposition. Even the buck is gentle, and while they're a bit stubborn :) (drives dh crazy...LOL!) they're really no trouble; don't try to escape, or chew anything they're not supposed to. And these babies were up & at it right away...much easier than puppies IMHO!

(I don't know how to put the photos into the post itself; they always come up thumbnails?)

Question, why is your doe on a chain?
    • “I am not afraid, because I was born to do this."

Joan of Arc
    Mark 8:38 - Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

DH traveled a bit today and picked up 2 female piglets for daughters to raise. My 18 yr old has been begging for a pig for 2 years. Well, think she is getting a good taste. They are 3 weeks and she can't get them to get the hang of a bottle yet. And we all stink from trying.

Icing on the cake is one of my goats kidded today! Twins, buck and doe, just like she did last year. Only difference is, this year she didn't reject the little doe!!!

The doe is in front, buck in the back. He is the spitting image of his father.

(the images were supposed to be clickable. I have been working at photobucket for half an hour trying to get the size small enough that they could be seen in the post without having to scroll over. So don't try clicking them, sorry)

Thanks for enlarging my pics!

As for the chain, right now they only have a small yard, so sometimes we tether one of them out near us while we're working so they can graze/browse. We're working on fencing a larger area but hasn't happened yet :)

I'm planning on milking but so far she doesn't like it so I think we'll try to make a milking stand so she'll at least stay in one place.

LaMancha doe, "Bug," with her 3-day-old buckling.

LaMancha doe, "Yoda-girl," with one of her week-old bucklings.

download.jpg

Not sure how to make the pic bigger, but here they are. They both are white like their father.

Sweet babies! Boys or girls?