Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is a GOOD dog worth???

Exclamation What is a GOOD dog worth???

I have always had dogs, cats and other types of animals BUT, without a GOOD dog I would not be here today.

Too many times I have had a GOOD dog save my life ... literally.

Once it was a small dog that got a rank stallion to turn and chase the dog allowing me time to escape.

Another time is was my Border Collie, Trudy, who saved me from a cougar ... that was hunting ME!

Two summers ago it was my old man Border Collie, Toby, who got between me and a ready to strike rattler and took the hit.

Today ... today it was my female blue eyed Aussie, Blu. I went outside to unload some hay off my truck. IF I had not had to give the scraps to the chickens I would have walked right past where that rattler was ready to strike.

Blu has become the snake alarm here on the ranch. She was badly bitten in Montana in 08 and ever since ... snakes are to be taken care of ... no matter what.
    She started her snake bark and was lunging under the flatbed trailer. I went to look and found the rattler.

Biggest problem with this one ... it was a big snake but only had a small button to rattle with. I would NOT have heard it! Not with baby goat noise and the hens laying.

So, again I ask ... What is a GOOD dog worth??? To me? Everything and then some.
    They are worth their weight in Gold to me.
    And, I have not even gotten into the money the Livestock Guardian Dogs have saved me in the 20+ years I have had them to guard home and property and stock.

During these times ... A GOOD dog ... is a MUST have!

Amen.

I wouldn't even think of living without a good dog or two around.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. ...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
    C.S. Lewis

I've never had my life saved by a dog, that I know of.

But I know that the love and devotion those critters fall over themselves to give me (often injuring me in the process) has to be good for the soul...and in turn, for my physical well being!

Quote Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
    I've never had my life saved by a dog, that I know of.

But I know that the love and devotion those critters fall over themselves to give me (often injuring me in the process) has to be good for the soul...and in turn, for my physical well being!

I haven't ever had one chase off a grizzly bear or anything, but I do think one saved me from a bad situation.

A truck drove into our homestead and I was home alone with 2 toddlers. As I stood on the porch, the person rolled down their window and said he was looking for his friend who was doing some logging up here.

I told him that nobody was doing logging up in these parts so he must have taken them wrong road.

You would have thought that he would turn his truck around and leave at that point--this obviously isn't the place he's looking for.

Well he proceeded to start opening his door to get out. Just then our new dog--large, part wolf--come from around the back of the house and begins aggressively barking at his door. He looks up at me and asks if the dog bites?

Side bar---if a weird stranger asks if your dogs bites, the answer is always--YES

I told him yes--she's a wolf hybrid and very unpredictable, I would NOT get out of the truck if I was him.

He closed his door, turned his truck around and left. I always think that this dog saved me from what could have turned into a really bad situation.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. ...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
    C.S. Lewis

Nothing beats a good dog.

Nothing.

Except maybe Jesus.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Acts17Apologetics
    Shut yer sauce box, & focus yer audio, see?

A good dog is worth at least two bad wives, now if only I could swing that trade
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    “As a general rule, the earlier you recognize someone is trying to kill you, the better off you’ll be.”

"You think a wall as solid as the earth separates civilisation from barbarism. I tell you the division is a sheet of glass."

Quote Originally Posted by DunDunDuuun View Post
    Nothing beats a good dog.

Nothing.

Except maybe Jesus.

Here's an old Twilight Zone show about how important a good dog is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xymIcIt1QGY
    C.S. Lewis

For me it's immeasurable. My black & whites show pure joy every day when I come home from work. A stressful day is immediately turned around and a mediocre day becomes great. I only hope I give them as much as they give me.

Thanks for the thread, it put a big smile on my face.

grower is offline Tree of Liberty Contributor

This is a good thread!

My husband is a ham, and has been listening to some emergency frequencies lately, as well. He told me a few days ago, "No telling how much the dogs have saved us. Every night I hear police calls for burglaries and thefts, but nobody's ever broken into our place."

Having good "warner" dogs in the yard keeps anyone with ill intent from messing with the place!
    IF you are willing & obedient , you shall eat the good of the land: But if you refuse & rebel, You shall be devoured with the sword: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it. Isaiah 1:19, 20

I have a sheltie that has learned that we head to the basement in really severe weather that has alarm barked at 2ish in the morning, and wouldn't leave us until we woke up, to let us know we needed to take cover! Luckily only 98+ mph winds and lots of tree damage and not a tornado that time.

What is a dog worth, every drop of love I have!!!
    • “I am not afraid, because I was born to do this."

Joan of Arc
    Mark 8:38 - Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.