Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Baby Pictures

tras, congrats!
    your babies are too cute!
    I love the one Nubian with spots down the spine.

we are done with births this season,18 total, twins, triplets & 1 set of Nigerian quads, more doelings than bucklings, but didn't start out that way, thought it was going to be a buckling year..

here is a pic of one of our twin mini-alpine doelings with our Komodor LGD watching her prance.

Quote Originally Posted by grower View Post
    I have to say that pregnant doe looks ready to pop! May the Lord have mercy on her.
    Yea, that's what we said, Grower. I'm afraid to let her out in the sun. Looks like one of those range cows that die and then blow up on a hot day. Poor thing scrapes some of the goat doorways.

Thanks, but I'll have to skip the extra step on this dial-up. Just can't figure out why that extra arrow the forum instructions say exists doesn't show on Explorer.

That is a good looking Alpine, lmv. Some folks north of here got one or our Hobbit bucks to breed with those last year. I'd be interested to see the result.

I think I WANT a Komodor of that quality when our old blue Mastiff passes. He understands stock and barnyard fowl are ours, doesn't hassle them, and certainly keeps predators at bay, together with having good instinct for people, but he wasn't raised in with the stock. When the coyotes get anywhere close on the night hunt, he throws back his head, belts out this eerie howl, and they go quiet. The guy I got our Saanen from had a big mastiff pup that led his favorite doe around on a rope leash, and didn't want her out of his sight. I bet a Komodor is WAAY out of our price range, though. The next guardian dog may well end up being a Shepherd.

Tras
    "They who have put out the people's eyes reproach them of their blindness."
    John Milton, 1642

here is a pic of the mama Alpine, she really is a beauty and my spoiled rotten girl, well they are all spoiled rotten really..ignore her fish tail, she recently got coppered, this past pregnancy seemed to deplete it quickly.

Our Komodor Baxter is huge at 9 months, he really is too much dog for me to handle, sweet as he can be, but knocks me around just being affectionate. DH is 6^6 and when Baxter stands up, he is near as tall as him.
    it is amazing to hear his puppy bark, can't imagine what kind of sound he will make when he gets his grown up voice!

we have a few different breeds here and all the doe's get mated to our registered Nigerian buck, we love our mini's.
    Hobbits....thats a good name for them, lol

grower is offline Tree of Liberty Contributor

Unhappy

I had a bad incident this evening. My stupid LGD killed one of my little chicks.

I let the goats and their 4-mo. Akbash guardian-in-training out of the pen to browse in the yard, because they've eaten down the pen pretty well. I sat out on the hill with them for about a half-hour and then came in to get my milking things before rounding them up for the evening. When I went out and started gathering the goats, the pup wasn't with them, and just about the time I looked around for him, here he came from the direction of the hen house, with one of my beautiful half-grown chicks in his mouth! My throat is sore now, from screaming at him!

My teenage son put the goats up and milked and fed my bottle-baby, all without even being asked. And I sat in the rocking chair with my baby chick until she quit breathing.

And wouldn't you know it, she was the really pretty orange one (picture I posted earlier in the thread):

I feel a loss from the baby and a disappointment in the doofus dog. He's big, but I have to keep reminding myself he's just a baby himself. Some days just end like that.
    IF you are willing & obedient , you shall eat the good of the land: But if you refuse & rebel, You shall be devoured with the sword: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it. Isaiah 1:19, 20

I'm sorry, Grower. Puppies are puppies... and most of them make a mistake or two.

When Bandit was a puppy, he LOVED kittens. He'd carry (carefully) an entire litter from the barn to play with on the back lawn... and no matter how often we'd haul them back and scold him, they were his friends and playmates (we didn't have another dog at the time). And if we'd take them back to the barn, they'd promptly follow him back out to the lawn anyway... a regular cat parade!

One day, I looked out and saw a kitten on the lawn... it looked awfully flat and still, and was pretty slobbered up. I went out, and sure enough, it wasn't breathing. I sighed, called the pup, showed him the kitten and gave him a solid scolding, then put the body on the back step. Awhile later, it was back on the lawn... he apparently carried it out there in an attempt to play with it again.

Hubby took the little thing and tossed it in the manure spreader (sorry- fact of life on a farm... we bury the animals who have names, but not a nameless barn kitten). And I vowed to watch Bandit more carefully.

Except, a few hours later, hubby came in the house, laughing so hard he could barely talk. He was carrying a filthy, slobbered, manure covered kitten... a very pissed off, but very much ALIVE kitten! He had backed the spreader up and started cleaning the barn into it, when he heard a kitten crying. Looked into the spreader, and sure enough, the kitten was stomping around in there, pissed as hell!

We NEVER figured it out, completely. If I had carried it out to the spreader, I think I probably would have noticed that it was still limp, and hadn't developed any rigor mortis after several hours... it never occurred to hubby. But we both swear to this day that the cat was DEAD... eyes open, no corneal reflex, and it certainly wasn't breathing!!

About a week later, I noticed a hot, firm swelling on the end of it's tail. I ended up having to amputate the tail- he had gangrene, apparently from a lack of oxygen for a fairly long period of time! But aside from that, he was fine. We named him Lazarus. And Bandit was more careful with the babies from then on, too...

For sure, we know where the legend of cats having nine lives came from!

Summerthyme

That is a great story, Summerthyme. Out of the manure spreader crawled...
    So when do we get to see some of those calves? I'd post up another set of triplets born this afternoon, but everyone must be bored with goats by now, and besides, now I'm tired.
    "They who have put out the people's eyes reproach them of their blindness."
    John Milton, 1642

Quote Originally Posted by Summerthyme View Post

Except, a few hours later, hubby came in the house, laughing so hard he could barely talk. He was carrying a filthy, slobbered, manure covered kitten... a very pissed off, but very much ALIVE kitten! He had backed the spreader up and started cleaning the barn into it, when he heard a kitten crying. Looked into the spreader, and sure enough, the kitten was stomping around in there, pissed as hell!

THAT is the best story I've heard in a while, Summerthyme. Thanks for the laugh.