Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me think outside the box

Default Help me think outside the box

How can I take a detached garage that has plumbing run (meaning water) and electricity and make it useful? It has an enclosed upstairs room that is no good for human activity (ceilings too short except down through the middle).

I am thinking of using that upstairs for a greenhouse in winter if I can install a wall of windows. Specifically, I'd like an "orangerie" with dwarf citrus and other tender trees. I am imagining lining the trees in a row in the tall part then in front (under the eaves) where the windows would be installed, I could put some potted plants and even trellis some beans and peas for the winter. The wall of windows would face south.

How can I tell how much weight the ceiling/floor support has?

How would I heat that area safely during our infrequent freezes?

How would I handle those trees in summer? I can't carry them up and down stairs once they are a certain size.

What else could I use that space for from a prepping/self-reliance perspective?
    Mama Ten Bears

I don't have 10 children, but I did see 10 bears on vacation once. Thought it'd be a cool screen name.

Bump a dormer out one entire side of the roof to make it more useable

Are the garage ceiling rafters, room above floor joices 2 x 4 or 2x6? 16 , 18, or 24 inches on center?.What kind of flooring is down in the room you want to use ? Plywood, or osb & the thickness & the condition of the flooring. It all makes a difference.
    ?

Mamma, you are getting into structural issues, probably outside of this forums realm. As Dylan has stated, you will have to fill in some pretty important details before anyone could begin to advise you even informally. Given that you say infrequent freezes, I would say your rafters are not designed for much of a snow load, and another consideration will be are you in a hurricane area? now you have to consider the additional weight that is 8 feet off the ground, and trying to lever your walls over.

Not trying to dissuade you, just there are many considerations you need to look at before you go down this path. Getting a copy of your local codes might be a good thing, as many will specify the minimum live loads ( example 150 Lb/SF ) that floors must support.

potted herbs, use those solartubes to bring in sunight
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    “As a general rule, the earlier you recognize someone is trying to kill you, the better off you’ll be.”

"You think a wall as solid as the earth separates civilisation from barbarism. I tell you the division is a sheet of glass."

I would have to think about the upstairs for a while.

But for the main area of the building, I'd be having visions of a nice work area - maybe some electrical, insulate, sheetrock, heating, air conditioning, etc...

Then I envision a nice area for reloading ammo, expansion of my electronics lab, more machining tools like a lathe, Bridgport mill, band saw, welder, acceteline tourches and the like.

Have you looked at any tiny houses online? You could probably make it into a small apartment and make some money off it. The upstairs could either be a loft (just for sleeping) or storage.
    Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are. ~Author Unknown

I can see the headlines now.

"Police Find Herb Garden & Terrorist

On a tip from the local electric company a warrant was issued for 1234 Some Road. After police burst into the house using flashbangs and tear gas to help subdue the occupants, an herb garden was found. Police originally suspected a marjuana farm due to the increased electrical use at the property...

Instead police found a terrorist cell. At the property a large arsenal consisting of 2 rifles, 2 pistols, 500 rounds of ammunition and a 6 month supply of food was found. No one suspected Mr. & Mrs Joe Smith, the picture of the perfect American citizen, who in reality were not. Data recovered from seized computers links the two to the website 'The Tree of Liberty', a site well known for being frequented by 'patriotic' Americans, who believe the government of the US is bloated, and should be reduced in size... "

Just saying be careful so as not to call any unwanted attention to yourself.

Kind of sounds like my dad's BIG garage. that particular one is a three car garage, with the same sort of upstairs portion to it.

A good shop to do various projects is the best idea, and just use the upstairs for material storage like he does. Having running water to clean up without having to go to the house to do it is great. The only thing that could be any better than this is to have toilet facilities as well.

If you had that, then all you would need would be a futon sofa, and a microwave oven. Then if for some reason the house became uninhabitable, you would have at least the bare essentials in the garage. A wood or coal stove for heat in the winter, I've seen deer cabins with less.
    I've never been to one, but have heard of some who have combined a small apartment into their shops to save money on buying or building a seperate home. So having all the comforts of one in a garage or shop would be great if the house had a fire or some other devistating misfortune. Forget having an apartment to rent for extra income. Can't always trust that you will find someone to be trustworthy and honest.

All that aside....just having a shop with both is fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Remember_The_Alamo View Post
    I can see the headlines now.

"Police Find Herb Garden & Terrorist

On a tip from the local electric company a warrant was issued for 1234 Some Road. After police burst into the house using flashbangs and tear gas to help subdue the occupants, an herb garden was found. Police originally suspected a marjuana farm due to the increased electrical use at the property...

Instead police found a terrorist cell. At the property a large arsenal consisting of 2 rifles, 2 pistols, 500 rounds of ammunition and a 6 month supply of food was found. No one suspected Mr. & Mrs Joe Smith, the picture of the perfect American citizen, who in reality were not. Data recovered from seized computers links the two to the website 'The Tree of Liberty', a site well known for being frequented by 'patriotic' Americans, who believe the government of the US is bloated, and should be reduced in size... "

Just saying be careful so as not to call any unwanted attention to yourself.

Mama Ten Bears

I don't have 10 children, but I did see 10 bears on vacation once. Thought it'd be a cool screen name.

Thanks all. I guess I'm dreaming too big.

Seems a waste. But, I'm short enough that I could put a little desk right in the middle and use it for a scrapbooking room. Hubby can't even go in, he's too tall.
    Mama Ten Bears