Thread: Best place to buy food for storage?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Beekeeper View Post
    Do you need me to drive down to NJ and haul it for you too?

:)

The information is available to you for free. To see which counties in your state produce each crop.
    Don't bust my onions, dude, I've looked. Although you're right, I haven't driven up to random farms hoping that wheat is one of their crops.

BTW, here's NJ's data from your source:

http://www.nass.usda.gov/QuickStats/...ta_US_CNTY.jsp

Quote Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
    Don't bust my onions, dude, I've looked. Although you're right, I haven't driven up to random farms hoping that wheat is one of their crops.

BTW, here's NJ's data from your source:

http://www.nass.usda.gov/QuickStats/...ta_US_CNTY.jsp
    I did not intend to come off here insulting you. My apology.

Looks like Essex county is the big one for fruits / nuts.
    Apples is Gloucester, Sussex, Warren.

I had no idea that NJ produced so many grapes, nectarines too
    Gloucester and Cumberland are both big on peaches.
    Atlantic and Burlington are big in berries.

My point was that for most Americans we have many crops being produced near where we live. Buying from the farmer is cheaper. If you can't buy direct from the farmer [and I can not think of a reason not to] then you can still buy from the farmer's local coop.

:)

And I didn't mean to sound oversensitive; building my food storage has been a real chore here! Thanks, though--

Forest Beekeeper,

Hi there!

When you buy from the silo or farmers, do you need to specify what type of wheat (or grain) you want? i.e. Feed wheat vs. seed wheat (treated with pesticides).

It might be important for folks to know this, so they don't buy grain that's meant for growing, not eating. Iirc, back before the Iranian Revolution in 1979, the U.S. ran a humanitarian mission and had accidentally dropped *seed* corn (treated with Mercury to stop bugs from eating the seed), instead of feed corn to starving Iranians. Many died, some ended up with brain damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Deb Mc. View Post
    Forest Beekeeper,

Hi there!

When you buy from the silo or farmers, do you need to specify what type of wheat (or grain) you want? i.e. Feed wheat vs. seed wheat (treated with pesticides).
    This may vary depending on region; I have never seen any grain coming in from the field that had been treated with anything.

I am familiar with seeing seed that has been coated blue when you buy 'seed' from an Ag store. The Ag store did not spray the blue on, rather they bought it from a seed corporation already treated that way. To my understanding that is not a pesticide rather it is a fungicide.

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Beekeeper View Post
    This may vary depending on region; I have never seen any grain coming in from the field that had been treated with anything.

I am familiar with seeing seed that has been coated blue when you buy 'seed' from an Ag store. The Ag store did not spray the blue on, rather they bought it from a seed corporation already treated that way. To my understanding that is not a pesticide rather it is a fungicide.
    I had heard about seed corn, or another seed grain, that had a pink coating. That covering, to my understanding, was a pesticide. At one time, iirc, mercury was used.

Thank you!

I had heard about seed corn, or another seed grain, that had a pink coating. That covering, to my understanding, was a pesticide. At one time, iirc, mercury was used.

Thank you!
    Yes, I remember when I was a child we got some that was pink.

Thank you!
    Back in the old days we used to take our stored grains to the elevator to have them "Inoculated", or treated at the local Elevator. This would have been late 60's/early 70's. Given the "Ag revolution" where hybrids are now quad crossed, this wouldn't work whatsoever. They now grow fields strictly for seed, and those go directly to the seed producer, not the local elevator.

Now I do not know if the Amish still run with Heirloom seeds, I suspect not, but you could possibly run into issues there.

No reputable local elevator would sell you inoculated seeds unless they knew you were planting them.

Default Yeah...

Thank you!
    There was a scandal of a bunch of Iranian people getting Mercury poisoning from gov't-purchased wheat seed diverted by black marketers to food. Pink loaves of bread were all the rage for a few months. This was around the late 1960s, I think.