Thread: Best place to buy food for storage?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by Deb Mc. View Post
    I had heard about seed corn, or another seed grain, that had a pink coating. That covering, to my understanding, was a pesticide. At one time, iirc, mercury was used.

Thank you!
    There was a scandal of a bunch of Iranian people getting Mercury poisoning from gov't-purchased wheat seed diverted by black marketers to food. Pink loaves of bread were all the rage for a few months. This was around the late 1960s, I think.

Forest Beekeeper, you are absolutely right. Buying direct from the farmer is exactly what we should be doing. ...It just feels hard to break into an unfamiliar social loop - almost like one is in sales and cold-calling.

I have found varied reactions to this, but if you buy something like untreated whole kernel corn form the local feed store for, say, your "goats," the corn should be safe for human consumption. And, if you have actual goats, chickens, bunnies, etc.... you all can enjoy. The quality of this type of corn can vary - lots of broken kernels, chaff, and some little stones, but there should be no mold or pesticides in livestock feed, and the price is about as low as you can get w/o going directly to the farmer.

If however, you would prefer excellent quality - go with Honeyville. We store both.