Thread: Best place to buy food for storage?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

One thing that we've run into is that many crop farmers have contracted their crop out to someone, and legally CAN'T sell any of that to individuals. I'm sure they could "get away with it", but it's not worth the hassle to many of them.

Another issue is the fear of liability... someone claiming to get sick from that "uncleaned" wheat when they baked it into something, and true or not, the potential lawsuit would cost FAR more to defend (even if there is NO chance the litigant would win) than any profit they'd make from a few bushels of wheat or corn.

ALSO... last week we took delivery of a 14 ton load of straw. Hubby became deathly ill within 4 hours of unloading it, and chopping a few bales of it into the stalls for bedding. Apparent organophosphate poisoning. Granted, he is sensitive to those chemicals as the result of too many years of exposure when he was growing up, but if that wheat was sprayed close enough to harvest that the straw was saturated, the wheat itself must have been as well. We've bought a lot of oat and wheat straw from this farmer before and never ran into this problem before. I'm surely glad I don't have pails of wheat in my cellar with the same contamination!

Summerthyme

Yikes, Summer! Is he better now?

I second the LDS cannery. I am taking a group next week and it is mostly non members.

Glad to see people waking up.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. ...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
    C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Summerthyme View Post
    ALSO... last week we took delivery of a 14 ton load of straw. Hubby became deathly ill within 4 hours of unloading it, and chopping a few bales of it into the stalls for bedding. Apparent organophosphate poisoning. Granted, he is sensitive to those chemicals as the result of too many years of exposure when he was growing up, but if that wheat was sprayed close enough to harvest that the straw was saturated, the wheat itself must have been as well. We've bought a lot of oat and wheat straw from this farmer before and never ran into this problem before. I'm surely glad I don't have pails of wheat in my cellar with the same contamination!

Summerthyme
    Wheat was sprayed with organophosphates and then sold, I think that is illegal.

Yeah... thank God for preps, including antidotes for organophosphates.

I don't know about the legality... I know a poster at TB2k who is from the Kansas wheat country always cautions people to ask about the spray history before buying wheat from the field... I don't know if there is a spray schedule close to harvest for wheat meant for seed or what...

Summerthyme