Quote Originally Posted by naturallysweet View Post
Just because something is grown in an area, doesn't mean that it's there for the average person to purchase. It's not like they have roadside stands in wheat country, selling 50# bags of wheat.

There are ways to buy it from the farmer, the mill, or the feedstore. But how would someone who is not from the area have a clue about that? If you walked up to most farm households, even during harvest season, and asked for a bag of wheat, you would be looked at like you are crazy.
When something is grown; that does in fact mean it is available for purchase.

What I did, was I located which grains are produced in which counties. I drove there and saw the fields and facilities. I stopped and asked who I should speak with about buying some.

Something else I have done, is google to find a grain dealer in a county. Call them mid-day, I nearly always get the farm-wife. Introduce myself and ask if she knows anyone in the area who is growing 'X'. Those farm-wives always know the scoop; and are always talkative. By the time the conversation ends, I have a list of names/phone numbers, along with what crop each is producing that year.

I just make 'cold-calls'. I never misrepresent myself. Just be open and honest about what your looking for.