Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best place to buy food for storage?

Default Best place to buy food for storage?

I'm a little late to the party here, but I was listening to Glenn Beck and heard about foodinsurance.com. Do you guys think that's a good place to buy supplies for my family?
    _

Skepticism is the first step toward truth

Revelation 3:20 - Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

If, like me, you're in an area that is inaccessible to bulk grains for food storage, I've been very happy with honeyville grains.

I now know the lds also offers a mail order service. Their items come in a #10 can, all ready for long term storage, for about the same price as honeyville. Had I known about this sooner, I would have used them instead of honeyville, and saved myself a lot of time in packing up the food.

Do you know any Mormons? (LDS Church memebers.)

The absolute best place to buy long term storage food is through the LDS cannery. The rules in each area are different. Some will let anyone in, and others you have to have a member of the Church with you. But it's worth looking into. The prices can't be beat.

I highly recommend the dried apples.

Thanks! lds? mormon site? Do you have a link?

I know Costco also sells food supplies in #10 cans.

foodinsurance.com seems pretty expensive.

A 3 month supply for 2 adults and 3 kids is $1,839.99
    http://www.foodinsurance.com/store/l...ions/632-meals
    _

Revelation 3:20 - Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

sunny225 Guest

I've bought a lot at Emergency Essentials -- beprepared.com
    Go take a look.

I second that Sunny...Emergancy Essentials is where I get alot of my stuff. I also go to the LDS pantry. Emergancy Essentials has the mylar bags that are on sale this month for $1.49 each. Normally 2.50 I can also get the oxygen absorbers there as well.

Also ask around/google Amish or Mennonite local stores. You can buy bulk grains there, pay cash, and stay gray.

Also, places like Costco and Sam's are good for bulk rice, sugar, etc.

It's very easy to pack your own buckets for food storage (salt, sugar, beans, rice, wheat, other grains, etc) Google "Packing buckets with Wendy Mae" for a great tutorial.

usaemergencysupply.com has awesome info on storage life, how many O2 absorbers to use, etc.

Get a water bath canner and pressure cooker and the Ball Blue Book about canning.

I used Honeyville (when they send out their 10-20% off an entire order coupons - sign up on their page to get emails. They don't spam.) for things I can't easily store back myself for long term - butter, milk, eggs, etc. Everybody I talked to is more than pleased with them, and FLAT RATE SHIPPING is a huge bonus.

I just finished watching his rerun of the Oct 13th show tonight, too. .. .

ETA: I would not use foodinsurance.com for a full year + supply of food. I am sure they are high in sodium, which is hard on the body long term. Plus the expense. But for get home, INCH, or BOB's, they could be very useful. Or even for short term mother nature emergencies.
    It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence. - Charles A. Beard

In this day and age, the only path of honor for a patriot IS to become a traitor. - Miradus
    [/SIZE]

IN fact, here's the latest HONEYVILLE coupon discount. Saw in in the email today. HTH

Coupon Code: PREPPER

SUMMARY: SAVE 10% ON YOUR ENTIRE ORDER* from Wednesday 2/22/12 through Monday 2/27/12. Stock up and save on all of your favorites, and try some of our great new items. Simply enter coupon code PREPPER during checkout. ORDER NOW! SALE ENDS ON MONDAY the 27th of February.

http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/

We're pretty excited about the interest and attention that Food Storage is getting in the mainstream media. Honeyville has been extensively featured on National Geographic's hit TV show "Doomsday Preppers". This week we're offering 10% off your entire online order. From Wednesday 2/22/2012 through Monday 2/27/2012 you can save 10% off your entire order*. To receive your instant discount enter the coupon code PREPPER in the coupon code field on the second page of the checkout process. Be sure to click on the Apply button to activate the discount. Act now as this discount is only good from Wednesday, February 22, 2012 through Monday, February 27, 2012.

http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/newproducts.aspx

We appreciate your business and strive to offer quality products at affordable prices. Should you have any questions or concerns, or just want to say hello, give us a call, toll-free, at (88 810-3212 or shoot us an email at webmaster@honeyvillegrain.com.

Be sure to check out "Doomsday Preppers" on National Geographic. Check your local listings for air times or visit http://channel.nationalgeographic.co...sday-preppers/

Regards,

Chris Ondatje

Director of E-Commerce

Honeyville Grain, Inc.

*10% off discount does not apply to our already low flat-rate shipping fee of $4.49. Discount valid for INTERNET ORDERS ONLY placed from Wednesday, February 22, 2012 thru Monday, February at 6:00PM PST. For assistance call, toll-free, (88 810-3212.
    It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence. - Charles A. Beard

In this day and age, the only path of honor for a patriot IS to become a traitor. - Miradus
    [/SIZE]

Awesome! Thanks for the info everyone! Greatly appreciated!
    _

Here's a link to the lds online store.
    http://store.lds.org/webapp/wcs/stor...http:ClickInfo

I did a calculation a year ago comparing prices vs. honeyville (prices may have changed since then):

LDS Store: #10 cans already sealed up and storage-ready. Their prices turn out to be quite a bit less than I spent when I bought the grain at honeyville, plus desiccant, and O2 absorbers and buckets. Not to mention the work involved.

33 lbs of wheat for $28 at LDS ($1.18 per pound), 50 lbs for $43 at Honeyville ($1.16 per pound)

If I had it to do over again, I'd go with the LDS folks. If I recall correctly shipping is included as well.