Thread: Need good source for Asparagus Plants

Default Need good source for Asparagus Plants

Looking for a good source for asparagus plants. Also in Zone 5 so what would be best
    for this area.
    Soil Condition required
    Also why do they talk about wanting just male plants?
    Anything else you could tell me would be appreciated.
    Thanks All
    Jo
    Last edited by ChemicalGal; 02-28-2012 at 12:11 AM. Reason: add request for info on male plants

I have bought both Jersey Giant (green) and Purple Passions from Pinetree Seeds and they arrived in excellent condition and have produced very well in the last 5 years and are multiplying nicely. LOVE those purple ones, they look obscene when growing but the flavor is mild and sweet. They turn green when cooked. I do suggest spending the bit extra for 2 or 3 year roots if you can, they will let you start cutting a year sooner than 1-year roots. They need LOTS of compost at least once a year, better twice if you have it. Female plants spend too much energy producing seed fronds and less on eatable spears, a lot less spears for cutting. YOu will get a few, very few females even ordering males plants, but they are your best buy for eating production. Mary Washingtons are the old time female line. Plant VERY deep, compost/fertilize lots, have patience.

Quote Originally Posted by goatlady View Post
    I have bought both Jersey Giant (green) and Purple Passions from Pinetree Seeds and they arrived in excellent condition and have produced very well in the last 5 years and are multiplying nicely. LOVE those purple ones, they look obscene when growing but the flavor is mild and sweet. They turn green when cooked. I do suggest spending the bit extra for 2 or 3 year roots if you can, they will let you start cutting a year sooner than 1-year roots. They need LOTS of compost at least once a year, better twice if you have it. Female plants spend too much energy producing seed fronds and less on eatable spears, a lot less spears for cutting. YOu will get a few, very few females even ordering males plants, but they are your best buy for eating production. Mary Washingtons are the old time female line. Plant VERY deep, compost/fertilize lots, have patience.
    Perfect advice. Plant at least a foot deep maybe a little deeper and put a couple of inches of compost under the new crowns. They are alot of work to start but once they are in not much work at all except composting. We have 20 plants that have been in for 20 years and all the asparagus we can eat, can and share every year. You can cut twice a year once plants are established. Spring and early fall just make sure to let grow back before winter. You really get about the same amount for the year but can spread the work of canning this way if you wantl
    Last edited by 4Him; 02-28-2012 at 08:21 AM. Reason: add a word to make clear
    --------------------------------------------------
    There are two ways to be fooled.
    One is to believe
    what isn't true;
    the other is to refuse
    to believe what is true.
    ~~Soren Kierkegaard 1813-1855

As for soil, they don't like super wet feet, and I have red clay soil.

Mine, though I only planted last year so I am DEFINITELY not the expert, are in a raised bed. We dug a deep wide trench (about 18 in deep, 24 in wide) in our clay soil and the top soil that we trucked in, mixed in some peat moss with the soil. Laid down some very well rotted manure thickly, topped with a bit of soil, then planted the crowns. Their tops were still about 6 inches under the "soil line" of the rest of the bed.

As the spears came up through the soil, I would cover them with more soil. Kept repeating this until the bed was level again.

It takes them awhile to start, but by the fall, we already had a very nice thick row. Mine were Jersey Supreme (Jung Seed here in WI - I like to support local when I can) and were 2 year roots.

To keep the weeds down, I laid down sheets of b/w newsprint, and topped with soil/rotted manure clumps on either side of the row. Clumps were all broken apart by fall.

It may seem like a lot of work, but when you consider that this is something that will last you for YEARS with not much effort besides adding more manure/fertilizer, it really is worth it.

And in the long run, it saves us $$, as my family LOVES asparagus, even the 4 year old!
    It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence. - Charles A. Beard

In this day and age, the only path of honor for a patriot IS to become a traitor. - Miradus
    [/SIZE]

Thank you now 1 more question ...LOL... probably a dozen more but for now 1

on the 20 plants what dimensions are the plot length & width.
    Thanks again
    Jo

1 ft apart minimum. Can plant 18 inches apart though.

I have 30 plants in a 30 ft row.
    It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence. - Charles A. Beard

In this day and age, the only path of honor for a patriot IS to become a traitor. - Miradus
    [/SIZE]

Cyclonemom has the right of it and she correctly pointed out the importance of keeping the WEEDS down. Asparagus does NOT do well fighting weeds. Mulch help lots in that respect.