Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to get my yellow nails clear again?

Default how to get my yellow nails clear again?

help! I painted my toenails with sally hansen hard as nails and left it on WAY too long...they looked pretty and it doesn't chip! BUT now that I've taken it off, my toe nails have a yellow looking tinge how do I get them back to there natural looking state? ideas? thank you!
    PS...I looked online and saw that I could use lemon juice on a cottonball. Just wondering if anyone has tried that with good results
    Acts 9:10-12

In Damascus there was a disciple named Ananias. The Lord called to him in a vision, "Ananias!" "Yes, Lord," he answered. The Lord told him, "Go to the house of Judas on Straight Street and ask for a man from Tarsus named Saul, for he is praying. In a vision he has seen a man named Ananias come and place his hands on him to restore his sight."

I had the same problem when I was wearing polish, Straightstreet. I was told to try straight lemon juice on a cotton ball for five nights before going to bed, no rinsing it off. Warning: if you have any hangnails it will sting!

As I recall it worked by the third night.

A friend tried it, but it didn't work at all for her. I think she used really old Real Lemon (brand name) juice that had been in the fridge for a year or so. Mine was new, and I used the reminder in ice tea and other beverages.

It's generally in the juice aisle, but there are also those plastic lemons full of juice. They are generally in the produce section. Lemons are close to $2 here in Ohio, so the juice is cheaper right now.

Best of my knowledge, you have to wait till it grows out; dark colored nail polish stains the nail surface.

I guess if you had a very fine nail buffer, it might help, but be careful not to buff so much that your nail surface thins to the point where it's sensitive. Not pleasant.

That's why I don't use dark colors anymore; plus, once they chip/peel, it's so much more obvious than with lighter colors.

Okay, truth be told, the only polish I use anymore is for my toenails; I don't keep my nails long anymore anyway.

You can also use plain white vinegar to whiten nails.

Default When I saw the OP title...

I was going to suggest wearing impermeable gloves when you chain-smoke your three packs of Camels a day.

Not so interesting as that.

Why not just wait til they grow out? Fingernails don't take that long to grow, and you won't risk damaging anything with harsh chemicals. A nailbed separation would be a LOT worse than what you have now.

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaSmith View Post
    I was going to suggest wearing impermeable gloves when you chain-smoke your three packs of Camels a day.

Not so interesting as that.

Why not just wait til they grow out? Fingernails don't take that long to grow, and you won't risk damaging anything with harsh chemicals. A nailbed separation would be a LOT worse than what you have now.
    I think I need to retitle the thread! It's my toenail polish I left on my TOENAILS too long...not fingernails it just looked pretty and never chipped! I just couldn't believe it! but I sure paid for the look of them now. I appreciate the replies...I'm going to try the lemon juice and the white vinegar. One of them is bound to work! Thanks y'all!

In Damascus there was a disciple named Ananias. The Lord called to him in a vision, "Ananias!" "Yes, Lord," he answered. The Lord told him, "Go to the house of Judas on Straight Street and ask for a man from Tarsus named Saul, for he is praying. In a vision he has seen a man named Ananias come and place his hands on him to restore his sight."

Quote Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
    Best of my knowledge, you have to wait till it grows out; dark colored nail polish stains the nail surface.

I guess if you had a very fine nail buffer, it might help, but be careful not to buff so much that your nail surface thins to the point where it's sensitive. Not pleasant.

That's why I don't use dark colors anymore; plus, once they chip/peel, it's so much more obvious than with lighter colors.

Okay, truth be told, the only polish I use anymore is for my toenails; I don't keep my nails long anymore anyway.
    yes, this is from my toenail polish. I don't polish my nails either

Go over them again with acetone nail polish remover and a cotton ball. 100% acetone works better than anything else I've used. Use an orange stick dipped in the nail polish remover to get the edges of the nails where the nail meets the skin.

After getting them fully clean, soak them in warm water with a few drops of dish soap, and peroxide so that the water is half peroxide. Scrub gently with a nail brush, and go over the edges again with orange stick ...you know the ones that are flat on one side..remove any deadened skin and around where the nail meets the skin, and push back the cuticle.

It can take a couple of applications of the nail polish remover to get it all. Anymore, I don't bother with standard nail polish remover. I go for the good stuff. It does a better job and you don't have to use as much.

I do my natural nails frequently as I like to do manicures. The technique above works well at even getting dark reds off, so yellow should be pretty easy.
    As an American you have the right to not believe in guns. You also have the right to not believe in God. But if someone is trying to break into your home, or wants to harm you, the first thing you will do is pick up the phone and call someone with a gun. The second thing you will do is pray that they get there in time. ~Don Moore

Default Here's a hint on how to save some money on nail polish remover...

Quote Originally Posted by 1Ms. America View Post
    Go over them again with acetone nail polish remover and a cotton ball. 100% acetone works better than anything else I've used. Use an orange stick dipped in the nail polish remover to get the edges of the nails where the nail meets the skin.

After getting them fully clean, soak them in warm water with a few drops of dish soap, and peroxide so that the water is half peroxide. Scrub gently with a nail brush, and go over the edges again with orange stick ...you know the ones that are flat on one side..remove any deadened skin and around where the nail meets the skin, and push back the cuticle.

It can take a couple of applications of the nail polish remover to get it all. Anymore, I don't bother with standard nail polish remover. I go for the good stuff. It does a better job and you don't have to use as much.

I do my natural nails frequently as I like to do manicures. The technique above works well at even getting dark reds off, so yellow should be pretty easy.
    Don't buy it in the cosmetics department. Instead, go to the paint department. ChinaMart has quarts of pure acetone for around 5 bucks or so. Should last you a LONG time...

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaSmith View Post
    Don't buy it in the cosmetics department. Instead, go to the paint department. ChinaMart has quarts of pure acetone for around 5 bucks or so. Should last you a LONG time...
    cool! thank you! because my fingernail polish remover says "non" acetone! Thanks also to 1Ms.America for the great tips!!!