Thread: GREAT source for sewing machine parts, and a small comment on politeness

Default GREAT source for sewing machine parts, and a small comment on politeness

Guys... I believe that we should compliment and spread the word when companies do an excellent job... just as much as we do when they do a poor job!

My Bernina sewing machine (circa 1980) is a workhorse, but the foot pedal died. I'd repaired it once before, and probably could have used some epoxy and managed to fix the "plastic fatigue" again for a short while, but I discovered that an electronic switch inside it also had died... one of the spring loaded connections was no longer holding tension.

So, I started looking around. I about lost it when I discovered that Bernina brand name foot pedals are OVER $200!! Good LORD... you can buy complete sewing machines for under that! I found this site: https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/ and they had "non-brand-name" pedals for about 40% less. Still insane, but whatever. I need that machine!!

I ordered one (and found a coupon code which gave me an additional 15% off- every little bit helps!). The pedal came in less than a week.

And didn't work. Oh, I was NOT happy!!

I sent them an excruciatingly polite e-mail expressing my unhappiness, especially the fact that I was going to have to pay postage to send the POS worthless thing back, and in the meantime, I've got quilts sitting here which are NOT getting sewn.

I was shocked when I got a phone call *twenty minutes* after I sent the e-mail! They were very polite, apologetic, and said they would send a replacement out immediately, along with a pre-paid shipping label for me to send the faulty one back. I also had an e-mail with the same info the next time I checked my e-mail. These folks REALLY wanted to be sure I knew what was going on.

I got a shipment confirmation within an hour... and the pedal came TWO DAYS later. They'd sent it Express mail! And yes, this one worked! The problem with the faulty one was a slightly misaligned plug... one of the prongs was set back in just a tiny bit, so didn't make contact.

I sent them a note thanking them for their excellent service... and got a note back thanking ME for that. Apparently, (from the sounds of the note) most people simply accept the correct part, etc and don't bother expressing any appreciation.

So... if you need parts for a machine, I'd suggest you look at their site. Some of their items aren't he best price (I wouldn't buy sewing machine needles there... their prices are competitive with local sources, but I've found am online source for 100 Organ brand needles for around $13)

But their service is excellent.

Now... my mini-rant. Because I didn't have the Bernina to use, I dragged an ancient Pfaff down from the attic... it was one of the very first "commercial quality" machines sold for home use (it figures- my Mom never bought junk!). I didn't have the manual, and wanted an oiling diagram as well as a threading diagram, and basic instructions. I haven't used that machine since I was about 10 years old...

The Pfaff site was messed up- any "search" request went to an error message. So I sent them an e-mail with a request for a manual or any information they had on this (admittedly ancient machine... it has to be at least 60 years old).

Two days later, I got an email back with a PDF file linked.. the original manual for the machine. Wonderful! Boy, does it sew beautifully!

So, I sent a quick note back to them thanking them for their response. I was surprised to get a note back- again- thanking ME for thanking them. They literally said that "no one" bothers to respond when they help out.

I find that sad, but I can't say I'm surprised. I've noticed it on sites like this one... some members can ask detailed questions, and while they'll sit on a thread and argue until they turn blue, for some reason, they rarely come back to the threads where they asked for help, even just to say a simple "thanks for the answers"...

It's a minority, for sure... most members still understand the basic courtesies, and I think most have spent some time looking up answers or typing out long helpful posts, so they understand that it DOES take time and effort. But some are noticeably lacking in those basic courtesies. And I find myself just not taking the time to answer some of them. Don't get me wrong- I don't need my butt kissed, but it is nice to know whether the person who was frantically asking questions the day before bothered to read the answers several members took the time to post.

And back to the original subject- in these economic times, when companies are cutting corners and costs everywhere, if you want to be able to- for example- get a copy of an old manual for an out-of-production machine, especially if you don't want to have to pay $12 or more for a digital copy (that's what the service manual for the Bernina cost me, and while it's worth every cent, I think they should be available free from the company)... take the minute or two and THANK them when they do help you out! Believe me, the goodwill it engenders is well worth it.

Summerthyme

good to know, will bookmark it. Oh and btw bernina's the old metal ones, go for way more than $200 in my area, try closer to $2000.

K-
    • “I am not afraid, because I was born to do this."

Joan of Arc
    Mark 8:38 - Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

Summerthyme, I'll bookmark the site and I'm glad that you now have your problem resolved. I've actually been stocking up on various parts for my machines. One broken part can surely shut you down. But yeow, that is a pricey part. I don't have a Bernina or a Pfaff but would love to own one. I did finish my project of converting a serger to treadle power. Finished it yesterday and it really works great!
    Thanks for the excellent post.
    Cathy

Bookmarking, thanks!
    Pull my finger!

I guess to some people chains don't matter as long as they have the right letter on them. Frankly I don't want to be in chains.

"So this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause." Padme in Star Wars Episode III

PW- oh, I know... I can't find a BERNINA for $200... or probably several times that much. But you can get a new Singer or other "low end" machine for less than that these days.

And the thing is, that foot pedal is downright SIMPLE.

But then, it is at least 30 years old... if I get another 30 years out of it (HA! I can only hope... I think. I'm not sure if I want to live into my 80's) the $107 it ended up costing me will be well worth it. And for sure, the newer machines aren't build like the old ones!

Cathy- I've got a treadle machine in working order, although I haven't used it in years. I keep it dusted and oil it occasionally... because I'm in Amish country, finding the leather "belts" and other parts is simple. It sews perfect stitches... but because of my old foot injury and missing parts, I end up with horrible leg and foot cramps later at night if I use it for more than a half hour or so. I figure if the grid ever goes down, I'll have some strong, younger family members who can run it if necessary. All my boys learned the basics of sewing... each of them made a quilt as a preteen, and they all can do basic repairs, mending, etc.

But for now, I'm just very glad to have my Bernina working again!

Summerthyme

Summerthyme.......

As always, much appreciated information.......

Thank you, for all you share.......

And thank you to all the members here who

are always helpful.......

I appreciate you all.......

dj
    For in much wisdom is much grief; and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow..............Ecclesiastes 1:18

LORD please forgive us our unkind, unloving ways.........ALL OF US..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LraOiHUltak

Thank you for the info Summerthyme.

I have been on the lookout for an older, used Bernina since the newer machines of today can't hold a candle to the workhorses of yesterday. All the new ones are plastic junk.

It is nice to know there is a good source out there for parts should I find an older machine in need of some.

Many thanks.

You'll love this. About a year and a ahlf ago, I bought three older Berninas in decent (they all need cleaning and tuning) condition from a local school sale. They were getting rid of their machines. I paid $5 for 3 of them. Yes. Solidly built Berninas. $5. For THREE.

Now, admittedly, I have not gotten them cleaned, etc....funds have been too low for that, unfortunately....but I am hoping to soon.

Rachel
    "For the time will come when people will not tolerate sound doctrine, but, following their own desires will surround themselves with teachers who tickle their ears. They will stop listening to the truth and wander off to fables." (2 Timothy 4:3-4).

Quote Originally Posted by juststartn View Post
    You'll love this. About a year and a ahlf ago, I bought three older Berninas in decent (they all need cleaning and tuning) condition from a local school sale. They were getting rid of their machines. I paid $5 for 3 of them. Yes. Solidly built Berninas. $5. For THREE.

Now, admittedly, I have not gotten them cleaned, etc....funds have been too low for that, unfortunately....but I am hoping to soon.

Rachel

there is a bernina group on yahoo (www.yahoo.com/groups) join it as you can then learn how to clean and do simple repairs to the machines yourself. When something major dies then you can order parts from the source ST gave us.

I belong to the Janome group on yahoo.

K-
    • “I am not afraid, because I was born to do this."

Joan of Arc
    Mark 8:38 - Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.