Thread: Great recipe for Cucumbers that turn yellow and big

Default Great recipe for Cucumbers that turn yellow and big

For all you gardeners, this is might be my most favorite recipe of all. I actually let some cukes go so I can make these every year.

Cucumer Spice Rings (can't tell they are not spiced apple rings)

2 gal. yellow cucumbers (doesn't matter how big they are)
    2 cups pickling lime
    3 cups cider vinegar
    1 tsp Alum
    1 bottle Red Food coloring
    10 cups sugar
    8 sticks cinnamon
    2 packages (small) Red Hot Candy

Peel cukes and cut in half crosswise (or smaller sections if they are really large). Remove seeds with serrated spoon from each end then cut crosswise to resemble apple rings. Approx 1/4 inch thick.

Soak for 24 hours in 2 cups pickling lime and water to cover in crock or plastic bucket. Then drain and rinse.

Then simmer 1 1/2 hours in 1 cup vinegar, 1 tsp alum and 1 small bottle of red food coloring and water to cover. Then drain and rinse well in cold water.

Mix 2 cups vinegar, 10 cups sugar and 8 cinnamon sticks ( can use 4 tps ground cinnamon instead). Bring mixture to a boil and add 2 pkgs of Red Hots and stir until dissolved. Return drained cukes to crock and pour mixture over and let stand overnight.

Drain syrup into large pot. Pack rings into sterile jars. Heat syrup to boiling and pour into jars. Seal and turn upside down for 5 minutes or water bath for 15 minutes.

Tip: after rings have been soaked in alum handle carefully as they are crisp and can break. Yum Yum

I love this recipe. People cannot believe they are not spiced apples and I don't have to waste those lovely cukes.
    --------------------------------------------------
    There are two ways to be fooled.
    One is to believe
    what isn't true;
    the other is to refuse
    to believe what is true.
    ~~Soren Kierkegaard 1813-1855

What a neat idea, thanks! :D

They are the bomb! It's the signature recipe for my wife's canning adventures. She makes those and I do most of the rest of the canning around here, I just don't have time to take 5 days on one product.

Our recipe differs in that you cook down the juice each day for 4 days after the initial lime water soak.

We've also discovered that Brach's red hots don't leave a weird white residue when melted like some other brands do.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Him View Post
    For all you gardeners, this is might be my most favorite recipe of all. I actually let some cukes go so I can make these every year.

Cucumer Spice Rings (can't tell they are not spiced apple rings)

2 gal. yellow cucumbers (doesn't matter how big they are)
    2 cups pickling lime
    3 cups cider vinegar
    1 tsp Alum
    1 bottle Red Food coloring
    10 cups sugar
    8 sticks cinnamon
    2 packages (small) Red Hot Candy

Peel cukes and cut in half crosswise (or smaller sections if they are really large). Remove seeds with serrated spoon from each end then cut crosswise to resemble apple rings. Approx 1/4 inch thick.

Soak for 24 hours in 2 cups pickling lime and water to cover in crock or plastic bucket. Then drain and rinse.

Then simmer 1 1/2 hours in 1 cup vinegar, 1 tsp alum and 1 small bottle of red food coloring and water to cover. Then drain and rinse well in cold water.

Mix 2 cups vinegar, 10 cups sugar and 8 cinnamon sticks ( can use 4 tps ground cinnamon instead). Bring mixture to a boil and add 2 pkgs of Red Hots and stir until dissolved. Return drained cukes to crock and pour mixture over and let stand overnight.

Drain syrup into large pot. Pack rings into sterile jars. Heat syrup to boiling and pour into jars. Seal and turn upside down for 5 minutes or water bath for 15 minutes.

Tip: after rings have been soaked in alum handle carefully as they are crisp and can break. Yum Yum

I love this recipe. People cannot believe they are not spiced apples and I don't have to waste those lovely cukes.

I make these every year only we call them christmas pickles, once you make them don't open them until christmas! We also omit the red food dye and double the red hot cinnamons.

K-
    • “I am not afraid, because I was born to do this."

Joan of Arc
    Mark 8:38 - Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

Quote Originally Posted by packyderms_wife View Post
    I make these every year only we call them christmas pickles, once you make them don't open them until christmas! We also omit the red food dye and double the red hot cinnamons.

K-
    I also have a recipe for green ones using the fat yellow cukes also that have an entirely different taste. I will dig it out and post it soon. It really makes a pretty plate at Christmas. Even tho I am 74 and still work full time, I will always have time to can these they are so much fun.

This is such an exciting time now. We have the onions and potatoes in, and the corn is going in tomorrow. I LOVE spring.
    --------------------------------------------------
    There are two ways to be fooled.
    One is to believe
    what isn't true;
    the other is to refuse
    to believe what is true.
    ~~Soren Kierkegaard 1813-1855