Thread: Non rusting mason jar rings?

Default Non rusting mason jar rings?

I am sick of the rust! Web searches for a stainless steel (or something non corrosive) version of the screw on rings failed. I have the Tatler lids, and Sprout People has a nice plastic ring (sold with stainless steel screen "lids" for sprouting), which I have, but would prefer metal for other applications. I make yoghart in the jars. The rust stains the glass, and is hard to scrub off.

Liefheit makes some high end canning jars, and $8.95 (Dinnerware Depot) IIRC, will get one 12 replacement rings, but I can't find any information on what they are made of either. I have some vintage canning jars with a heavy metal lid (zinc?/ aluminum?) and plastic liner that show no corrosion - so, good ones were made one-upon-a-time.

I like decorative glass jars with the separate rubber seal, the ss bale, and the glass lid, but they are much clumbsier to wash than the simple pint size wide mouth canning jars.

Do stainless steel rings exist?
    Thanks.

I can't help with the alternatives out there, as I have only used the normal canning rings. I haven't had a rust problem with them, though. I use them only when I'm canning the jar, then leave them on for about 24 hours while the jars stay on my counter. Then, I wash them and let them air dry for a day or two before throwing them back in the box of rings. I re-use them over and over, but only need to throw out an old one here or there. Are you storing your jars with the rings on them? I'm not sure what would give you such a bad rust problem.

For canning, I take the rings off after the jars have cooled.

Our wide mouth rings get by far the most use on pint jars for making yoghart. We go through three to four pints a day in this house. The jars sit all day in hot water in the incubator, then go into the fridge. I would use the white plastic storage caps, but am not sure they sterilize well.

Oh, that makes sense! I can see rust issues being a problem when they're in that kind of environment.

For making yogurt, or storing a half-used jar in the fridge I use the plastic storage lids. I have used them for many years without any problems sterilizing them in the dishwasher. You could probably boil them for a bit in hot water if you were concerned about it, but I haven't done this. Hope this helps!

absolutely that yogurt making is what is ruining your jar rings. DO switch to the all-in-one plastic screw on lids instead. There ARE no other types of canning rings and I have had many of mine for 20+ years with no rust problems. BTW, I used to make yogurt by the gallon in large bowls in the over when all my kids were eating it by cupfulls!

From now on, one piece plastic it is.

Thanks.

Absolutely use the plastic rings for your application. However, if you're concerned about cleanliness, just put a flat (canning jar lid) underneath the plastic lid! It works fine.

For preventing rust otherwise, I always wash my rings in hot soapy water, rinse and then immediately stack right side up (so they don't hold water) on a broiler pan or cookie sheet with sides, and put into a warm (200°) oven for 20 minutes or so... until they're bone dry.

Then cool and store in heavy ziplock bags, which I put into a large rubbermaid tote in our (somewhat dampish- rings which were stored in onion bags used to rust) basement.

Summerthyme