Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One of my recent canned salsa's seal failed...

Default One of my recent canned salsa's seal failed...

I'm very new to canning, so maybe some of you could help me out: I canned 4 jars of garden salsa in early January. Ate 2 jars, gave 1 away (they said it was great), and took out the last one today. Unfortunately, the center seal had popped up. I took out my canning instructions which said 'don't mess with it, throw it away', so I did. I read the possible reasons why this could happen, and it said several: lip not clean enough, jar with tiny crack/chip on lid, etc.
    I'm not sure... Do I use this same jar again? I didnt' feel any cracks. What should I do?

I know a lot of people were having this problem w/ a particular kind of lid that was monkeyed with.

I'm sure someone knowledgeable will help you out soon.

I wet a finger and run it around the lip. If I don't detect a chip I will reuse it. More than likely it was just a bad lid, or you didn't get the rim totally clean somehow. It just happens sometimes and it is always disappointing to me when it does.

I do have 2 jars that I detected a slight dip in the rim, those I use for drinking, the chipped ones I chunk completely.

That's a shame, but definitely better safe than sorry...

Just out of curiosity, what brand/color lid was it?

This stuff DOES happen on occasion; usually after long periods of storage. However, people are reporting problems with the silver lids, and most of us who have canned for a long time can see that the sealing compound even on the brand name lids just isn't as thick or wide as it used to be.

Summerthyme

Quote Originally Posted by Summerthyme View Post
    That's a shame, but definitely better safe than sorry...

Just out of curiosity, what brand/color lid was it?

This stuff DOES happen on occasion; usually after long periods of storage. However, people are reporting problems with the silver lids, and most of us who have canned for a long time can see that the sealing compound even on the brand name lids just isn't as thick or wide as it used to be.

Summerthyme
    Yes, it was silver (Ball brand). And when I canned them, the jar mouth was clean, wiped down. So I think I did everything correctly. Are folks reporting Ball silver ones as losing their seals?

Yes, the silver ones are definitely causing some people problems.

I can't say I've seen any real problem with them, but there sure have been a lot of reports of trouble. And I haven't used many.. maybe a couple dozen which came with some jelly jars I bought last year.

I think I'd probably buy different lids, and use the silver lids (that come with new jars you buy) for storing dry foods, or temporary refrigerator caps.

Summerthyme

Quote Originally Posted by Summerthyme View Post
    Yes, the silver ones are definitely causing some people problems.

I can't say I've seen any real problem with them, but there sure have been a lot of reports of trouble. And I haven't used many.. maybe a couple dozen which came with some jelly jars I bought last year.

I think I'd probably buy different lids, and use the silver lids (that come with new jars you buy) for storing dry foods, or temporary refrigerator caps.

Summerthyme
    Thanks. Will do. :)

Try Tattlers, haven't had a single one that initially sealed, lose its seal (canned quite a bit last year using ONLY Tattler Reusable Canning Lids). Sure sorry to hear you lost that Salsa. It is a shame the quality of Ball has fallen the way it has!

Quote Originally Posted by ChristieAcres View Post
    Try Tattlers, haven't had a single one that initially sealed, lose its seal (canned quite a bit last year using ONLY Tattler Reusable Canning Lids). Sure sorry to hear you lost that Salsa. It is a shame the quality of Ball has fallen the way it has!
    Thank you Christie. I've seen quite few ads for Tattler lids, and I will be happy to try them with your recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by My Adonai View Post
    Thank you Christie. I've seen quite few ads for Tattler lids, and I will be happy to try them with your recommendation.
    For a great deal, excellent service, and fast delivery...

I highly recommend you buy from one of our fellow TOLer's:

http://www.thetreeofliberty.com/vb/s...d.php?t=148567

I was so impressed when I ordered, I won't buy from anyone else!