Thread: Non rusting mason jar rings?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Oh, that makes sense! I can see rust issues being a problem when they're in that kind of environment.

For making yogurt, or storing a half-used jar in the fridge I use the plastic storage lids. I have used them for many years without any problems sterilizing them in the dishwasher. You could probably boil them for a bit in hot water if you were concerned about it, but I haven't done this. Hope this helps!

absolutely that yogurt making is what is ruining your jar rings. DO switch to the all-in-one plastic screw on lids instead. There ARE no other types of canning rings and I have had many of mine for 20+ years with no rust problems. BTW, I used to make yogurt by the gallon in large bowls in the over when all my kids were eating it by cupfulls!

From now on, one piece plastic it is.

Thanks.

Absolutely use the plastic rings for your application. However, if you're concerned about cleanliness, just put a flat (canning jar lid) underneath the plastic lid! It works fine.

For preventing rust otherwise, I always wash my rings in hot soapy water, rinse and then immediately stack right side up (so they don't hold water) on a broiler pan or cookie sheet with sides, and put into a warm (200°) oven for 20 minutes or so... until they're bone dry.

Then cool and store in heavy ziplock bags, which I put into a large rubbermaid tote in our (somewhat dampish- rings which were stored in onion bags used to rust) basement.

Summerthyme