Thread: Water well testing

Default Water well testing

Hi everyone, my son and I just put in a hand driven shallow well with a old type picture pump on it. The water still has some cloudiness in it right now but what I need is a way to test it for bacteria and such if anyone knows a good kit and where to get it. Thanks.

Sam Henderson

Quote Originally Posted by sjhenderson View Post
    Hi everyone, my son and I just put in a hand driven shallow well with a old type picture pump on it. The water still has some cloudiness in it right now but what I need is a way to test it for bacteria and such if anyone knows a good kit and where to get it. Thanks.

Sam Henderson
    sj,
    Most harware stores will carry a bacteria test kit as does Lowes and HD. However, these only show you if bacteria is present not the count or kind of bacteria.

The best bet would be to find a lab and have them test it for e coli etc...They will incubate the bacteria and get a proper count as well as determine what kind it is.

These tests are normaly cheap, less than $50 ( around here a basic test is $30)
    Either way it is always a good idea with a new well to "shock' it with clorine and let it run. If you are concerned an Ultra violet light will work well in sterilizing any bacteria. Just keep in mind the water must be "clean" , meaning no iron/silt etc...a good pre-filter would be a good idea.

Hope this helps.
    “I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.” Barry Goldwater.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.H. L. Mencken

We bought a place in TN with a capped-off well (they had switched over to city water) and we had a bison hand pump put in.

We contacted the state, which gave us a list of labs in our area that do water analysis. I don't know how much it'll cost but we, too, are anxious to make sure there's no cooties or mercury floating around in there.

Here's the keywords I used to find the dept to send me a list: "laboratory water analysis [county] [state]"

Quote Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
    We bought a place in TN with a capped-off well (they had switched over to city water) and we had a bison hand pump put in.

We contacted the state, which gave us a list of labs in our area that do water analysis. I don't know how much it'll cost but we, too, are anxious to make sure there's no cooties or mercury floating around in there.

Here's the keywords I used to find the dept to send me a list: "laboratory water analysis [county] [state]"
    They are also listed in the phone book under labs and water testing.
    “I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.” Barry Goldwater.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.H. L. Mencken

My local health dept tested ours. I went there and picked up directions and a "test tube" went home got the sample took it back at 24 hours later had the resultes. It only cost me $10.00
    Living the dream, just living the dream!

Quote Originally Posted by Petedtom View Post
    They are also listed in the phone book under labs and water testing.
    this "phone book", is it some kind of new fangled technology?

Quote Originally Posted by sjhenderson View Post

Sam Henderson
    Sam, I assume you have already shocked the well with Chlorine? You need to do that before you do any tests, it most surely has some if you haven't. Shock it wait for at least 5 or 6 hours, then pump it until the Chlorine is dissipated.

Try these people http://www.wardlab.com/FeeSchedule/WaterAnalysis.aspx .I have used them in the past and the were great to work with.

John

Thanks everyone.

most health depts do it. for a cheap fee. like 5 $ or so. so call your county health dpt. and ask if they test water.
    momof23goats