Thread: DIY Water Well Hand Pump

Default DIY Water Well Hand Pump

We have been looking at putting in a hand pump on our well that isnt used anymore, its a good well just not used because we had a new one dug. Anyway the handpump systems are alot of $$. So I found this site....

http://www.ezwaterwellhandpumps.com/...tm_campaign={1}

For those of us that need very detailed instructions it seems great. We have ordered 1 and I will try and rem to update this after we have installed it.

Finally I will have my water situation in check!!
    Living the dream, just living the dream!

Wow...thanks! I've been sweating over how to get one like my sister has for over a 1000.00, which is a real beauty, but this I can afford and so can a friend of mine. Thanks again!
    Old enough to remember

That looks like a REALLY good idea. Do keep us updated please.

Default Got er done!

My husband and I put together and installed the new hand pump yesterday.....

1st- we got the materials list and went shopping for all of the PVC and fittings needed. Our static water level is at 80 feet so per the directions we went down 105 feet. For all of the PVC and fittings we spent right around $150.00. The pump part (which is what we ordered) was 179.00. So in total we spent $329.00.

2nd- The directions that we got were pretty good. Some areas were a bit confusing but you are given a phone number for the gentleman that you order from and he was very helpful. We ended up calling him about 5 times to ask various questions.
    Everything went together pretty easy. It was very time consuming though. It took us in total about 6 hours.

3rd- When we were all done we dropped the 105 feet of pvc pipe into the well (which was alittle hard for 2 people and VERY heavy, but we did get it done) we pumped the handle 23 times and out shot clean, fresh water! Due to the amount of pressure that has to build up in order for you to pump the water it takes quite alot of streagh to pump the handle. I would think if you have a shallow well it wouldnt be as hard.

So all in all we are very happy with this hand pump. It is not pretty..but it does work very well, costs alot less than the pretty ones and we now have peace of mind about our water storage! So I do recommend this hand pump

Great info, thank you!

We sprang for the Bison pump at our TN place but our circumstances are a little different; the well casing needed some work so we had a well guy install it and do the repairs on the casing.

We also have city water supply to the house; the well was disconnected years ago. The city water is nasty and we'll be using the well water on a regular basis for drinking - not just for emergency, so we wanted it to be easy to use.

It wound up costing us (gulp) $2,200 all told. A lot of money, but at least it's in there.

Great link!

Does this need to be winterized for those of us in the frigid areas of the country? (when not in use)

And if in use, do you know the recommendations for super cold temps?

Thanks!

ETA: Never mind - it was farther down on his page: http://www.ezwaterwellhandpumps.com/diagram.htm
    It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence. - Charles A. Beard

In this day and age, the only path of honor for a patriot IS to become a traitor. - Miradus
    [/SIZE]

Yes, make sure you drill the seep hole 10 to 15 feet ABOVE your static water level...that is very important in order to keep it from freezing. I live in Mo so next winter I will go ahead and wrap it just to make sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonemom View Post
    Great link!

Does this need to be winterized for those of us in the frigid areas of the country? (when not in use)

And if in use, do you know the recommendations for super cold temps?

Thanks!

ETA: Never mind - it was farther down on his page: http://www.ezwaterwellhandpumps.com/diagram.htm

I have a flo jac.
    momof23goats

If you are pretty handy with PVC pipe, you can always try your hand at doing it yourself like this.........

Pumps - standard EMAS handpump using pipes - part 1 - YouTube

I put it into my favorites to go and try sometime this summer. I don't have a well myself, but my primary and secondary BOL's do, and so I'll be making one to test with a five gallon bucket as the source. Once I get a feel for how they are put together and work, then I'll make one to set aside at each location for an emergency.

I got that also from www.flojak.com. it is the same thing, now I am all set.
    momof23goats