Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Priest who denied communion to lesbian at funeral is placed on administrative leave b

Taking communion when you shouldn't can get you killed:

1 Corinthians 11

23For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, that the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:

24And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.

25After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, this cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.

26For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.

27Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.

28But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.

29For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.

30For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.

31For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Thomason View Post
    I thought sinners were the ones who needed Christ the most?
    You don't get Christ by eating a cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by dundunduuun View Post
    you don't get christ by eating a cracker.
    exactly.
    Only the sword now carries any weight in the balance for the destiny of a nation.

Quote Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
    Who invented the ceremony of communion?
    Jesus.

Listen, it really isn't a difficult concept. Sin explicitly puts a barrier between us and God. Communion with God is not just a term for an
    ecclesiastical proceedure, it is a positive action that requires removal of that barrier. It is unethical for priests to give communion to someone who decides to keep that barrier in place. Giving them the wafer and the wine is not Communion, it is a lie.
    "See, in the last few years...we've stumbled... And when you stumble a lot, you...you start looking at your feet. We have to make people...lift their eyes back to the horizon and see the line of ancestors behind us saying, 'Make my life have meaning.' And to our inheritors before us saying, 'Create the world we will live in.' I mean, we're not just holding jobs and having dinner. We are in the process of building the future."

Outbound

The Frigid Times
    http://www.frigidtimes.blogspot.com/

exactly.
    Did you UNcapitalize 'Christ' in your quote, or did it do that on its own?

Quote Originally Posted by DunDunDuuun View Post
    Did you UNcapitalize 'Christ' in your quote, or did it do that on its own?
    Considering the "You" became UNcapitalized as well...

I responded with "EXACTLY", which apparently the forum software decided was too many capitals and decided to uncapitalize everything.
    Only the sword now carries any weight in the balance for the destiny of a nation.

Considering the "You" became UNcapitalized as well...

I responded with "EXACTLY", which apparently the forum software decided was too many capitals and decided to uncapitalize everything.

Yeah, I have problems with that too.

And I didn't notice my "you" capitalization fail. Sorry!

I am convinced you are not spawn of the devil. Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by DunDunDuuun View Post
    You don't get Christ by eating a cracker.
    100% Correct. Also 100% irrelevant.

Jesus saves when you surrender yourself to Him, but it does not render you perfect. Communion is an act of faith and reconnection, and a sincere desire to reject sin, that's all. It isn't necessary for salvation, but it is beneficial for the believer.

From the point of view of just secular ethics, changing ones beliefs conditionally purely on what avoids controversy is a big fat fail. If the lesbian congregant wishes to attend a church that will give her communion, those do exist. This particular priest was properly and ethically following his and his church's stated beliefs. It was under his proper authority to deny this woman's participation in communion under those stated beliefs.
    "See, in the last few years...we've stumbled... And when you stumble a lot, you...you start looking at your feet. We have to make people...lift their eyes back to the horizon and see the line of ancestors behind us saying, 'Make my life have meaning.' And to our inheritors before us saying, 'Create the world we will live in.' I mean, we're not just holding jobs and having dinner. We are in the process of building the future."

Outbound

The Frigid Times

I thought sinners were the ones who needed Christ the most?
    I believe the issue is that they do need Christ, and need to repent of their sin and acknowledge it and turn from it before receiving communion. Otherwise, it is just a piece of bread. But, like you said, it isnt the bread that is doing the redeeming, it is Christ. So it matters not what is in the hand, or in the stomach, but in the heart.

But I'm no longer Catholic for some of these very reasons...processes/rituals confusing or not always lining up with Scripture.

Don’t buy from a faceless chain.
    Buy from a friend.

Shop Avon Online! - www.LizMetcalf.com
    Liz Metcalf
    - The Tree of Liberty's Avon Lady

Quote Originally Posted by Bethshaya View Post
    I believe the issue is that they do need Christ, and need to repent of their sin and acknowledge it and turn from it before receiving communion. Otherwise, it is just a piece of bread. But, like you said, it isnt the bread that is doing the redeeming, it is Christ. So it matters not what is in the hand, or in the stomach, but in the heart.

But I'm no longer Catholic for some of these very reasons...processes/rituals confusing or not always lining up with Scripture.
    I am no longer Episcopal for the same reasons, but the priest followed the proper course here, and is being slammed for it.

Outbound

The Frigid Times