Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Priest who denied communion to lesbian at funeral is placed on administrative leave b

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by DunDunDuuun View Post
    You don't get Christ by eating a cracker.
    100% Correct. Also 100% irrelevant.

Jesus saves when you surrender yourself to Him, but it does not render you perfect. Communion is an act of faith and reconnection, and a sincere desire to reject sin, that's all. It isn't necessary for salvation, but it is beneficial for the believer.

From the point of view of just secular ethics, changing ones beliefs conditionally purely on what avoids controversy is a big fat fail. If the lesbian congregant wishes to attend a church that will give her communion, those do exist. This particular priest was properly and ethically following his and his church's stated beliefs. It was under his proper authority to deny this woman's participation in communion under those stated beliefs.
    "See, in the last few years...we've stumbled... And when you stumble a lot, you...you start looking at your feet. We have to make people...lift their eyes back to the horizon and see the line of ancestors behind us saying, 'Make my life have meaning.' And to our inheritors before us saying, 'Create the world we will live in.' I mean, we're not just holding jobs and having dinner. We are in the process of building the future."

Outbound

The Frigid Times
    http://www.frigidtimes.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Thomason View Post
    I thought sinners were the ones who needed Christ the most?
    I believe the issue is that they do need Christ, and need to repent of their sin and acknowledge it and turn from it before receiving communion. Otherwise, it is just a piece of bread. But, like you said, it isnt the bread that is doing the redeeming, it is Christ. So it matters not what is in the hand, or in the stomach, but in the heart.

But I'm no longer Catholic for some of these very reasons...processes/rituals confusing or not always lining up with Scripture.

Don’t buy from a faceless chain.
    Buy from a friend.

Shop Avon Online! - www.LizMetcalf.com
    Liz Metcalf
    - The Tree of Liberty's Avon Lady

Quote Originally Posted by Bethshaya View Post
    I believe the issue is that they do need Christ, and need to repent of their sin and acknowledge it and turn from it before receiving communion. Otherwise, it is just a piece of bread. But, like you said, it isnt the bread that is doing the redeeming, it is Christ. So it matters not what is in the hand, or in the stomach, but in the heart.

But I'm no longer Catholic for some of these very reasons...processes/rituals confusing or not always lining up with Scripture.
    I am no longer Episcopal for the same reasons, but the priest followed the proper course here, and is being slammed for it.
    "See, in the last few years...we've stumbled... And when you stumble a lot, you...you start looking at your feet. We have to make people...lift their eyes back to the horizon and see the line of ancestors behind us saying, 'Make my life have meaning.' And to our inheritors before us saying, 'Create the world we will live in.' I mean, we're not just holding jobs and having dinner. We are in the process of building the future."

Outbound

The Frigid Times
    http://www.frigidtimes.blogspot.com/

Read the article. The "lesbian" story is a red herring, published to titillate and also make it look like the Church is becoming more moderate on gay issues (so you should, too!)

The article states:
    ""this action was taken after I received credible allegations that Father Guarnizo has engaged in intimidating behavior toward parish staff and others that is incompatible with proper priestly ministry.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/priest-denied-communion-lesbian-funeral-administrative-leave-archdiocese-article-1.1037324#ixzz1ovLQ1EuJ"
    The fact that he denied the woman Communion (as is proper), was not mentioned in the report. More like, the woman in question read in the paper that Fr. Guarnizo was placed on admin leave and called up the NY Daily News with her story and to gloat.
    Visit me at Mama Says for some big family rubbernecking

Don't be so open-minded your brain falls out

Sounds like he took the appropriate action. I had to go read the OP's article to make sure he is a Catholic priest. I thought the Catholic Church's stance on communion for gays was clear?

And here I thought repentence was meant to get closer to Him by turning from unrighteousness that keeps us separated.

Since the New Covenant is about spiritual things, the PHYSICAL tradition of communion has limited value in the TRUE scope of things.

Even if the priest DID give the lesbian communion... would that have CHANGED God's intimate relationship with someone who doesnt acknowledge their sin, and doesnt consider it a sin that needs repentence?

So in the end... the whole thing is sophistry anyway.
    Why is owning pets better than owning kids? Because if they get pregnant, you can sell their children.

The Daily Economist
    http://www.thedailyeconomist.com

I am not a Catholic but it seems to me that this man was not only following his beliefs but also the teachings of the church and now they punish him. Geez. And this is the same church that for years and years his/protected priest that abused children. Now I am confused because from my point of view the priest is correct in his actions while the church seems more and more like a politician going whichever way the wind blows and trying to cover up or gloss over anything that anyone might find objectionable.

Taking communion when you shouldn't can get you killed:

1 Corinthians 11

23For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, that the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:

24And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.

25After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, this cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.

26For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.

27Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.

28But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.

29For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.

30For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.

31For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.

Quote Originally Posted by DunDunDuuun View Post
    Taking communion when you shouldn't can get you killed:

1 Corinthians 11

23For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, that the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:

24And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.

25After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, this cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.

26For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.

27Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.

28But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.

29For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.

30For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.

31For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.
    In which case the priest was loving her by keeping her from the wrath of God. At least as much as he was able.
    Nessie and Bigfoot 2016. Change you can believe in.

This is not about whether or not she could take communion in God's eyes, really. It is about freedom of religion, which is under severe attack in this country. The Catholic Church's stance is that unrepentant sinners should not be given communion. He was within his rights and the Church's teachings, but the lesbian activists are calling for his head. It sounds like his boss is caving to political correctness.

The Obama administration has their nose under the Church's tent. Soon the whole camel will be in the tent. Then, they will come after the rest of us! We must stick together!