Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deathburgers Are Deadly

Default Deathburgers Are Deadly

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...ly-deaths.html

Red meat is blamed for one in 10 early deaths

The Department of Health was last night urged to review its guidance on red meat after a study found that eating almost half the daily recommended amount can significantly increase the risk of dying early from cancer and heart disease.

The Department of Health was last night urged to review its guidance on red meat after a study found that eating almost half the daily recommended amount can significantly increase the risk of dying early from cancer and heart disease.

According to the study, people should cut their red meat consumption to 1.5 ounces (42 grams) a day, equivalent to one large steak a week. This could prevent almost one in 10 early deaths in men and one in 13 in women. Photo: ANDREW CROWLEY
    Rebecca Smith

By Rebecca Smith, Medical Editor

10:00PM GMT 12 Mar 2012

CommentsComments

Small quantities of processed meat such as bacon, sausages or salami can increase the likelihood of dying by a fifth, researchers from Harvard School of Medicine found. Eating steak increases the risk of dying by 12%.

The study found that cutting the amount of red meat in peoples’ diets to 1.5 ounces (42 grams) a day, equivalent to one large steak a week, could prevent almost one in 10 early deaths in men and one in 13 in women.

The scientists said that the government’s current advice that people should eat no more than 2.5 ounces (70 grams) a day, around around the level the average Briton already consumes, was “generous”.

Dr Frank Hu, co-author of the study, said: “Given the growing evidence that even modest amounts of red meat is associated with increased risk of chronic disease and premature death, 2.5 ounces (70 grams) per day seems generous. The bottom line is that we should make red meat only an occassional rather than regular part of our diet.”

Red meat often contains high amounts of saturated fat, while bacon and salami contain large amounts of salt. Replacing red meat with poultry, fish or vegetables, whole grains and other healthy foods cut the risk of dying by up to one fifth, the study found.
    Related Articles

A sausage a day increases risk of deadly pancreatic cancer
    12 Jan 2012

'Eat meat on feast days only'
    30 Dec 2011

Beef: the latest object of gourmet obsession
    14 Dec 2011

Red meat 'raises bowel cancer risk'
    23 May 2011

Women at risk of iron deficiency if meat consumption falls
    22 Feb 2011

The study published in the Archives of Internal Medicine followed more than 100,000 people for around 28 years asking them periodically about their diet and lifestyle.

mortuus republica imperii Vivant

Seems like everything out there is bad for you, and that being the case I will continue to enjoy my red meat.

Life is a sexually transmitted terminal condition.
    A warrior lives by acting, not by thinking about acting, nor by thinking about what he will think when he has finished acting.

Yes, but you die with a smile on your face.
    One day or Day one?

Your government in collusion with--------------, has determined that blah blab blah.
    Just makes me soooooo happy I could poop.

From the OP

Dr Frank Hu, co-author of the study, said: “Given the growing evidence that even modest amounts of red meat is associated with increased risk of chronic disease and premature death, 2.5 ounces (70 grams) per day seems generous. The bottom line is that we should make red meat only an occassional rather than regular part of our diet.”
    Sorry, I call BS. My parents raised angus cattle as a hobby. So they said. In reality, we were poor but had land from my grandparents. By raising beef, we could afford to eat. Eat we did, beef 6 days a week. A garden supplied our fruits and vegetables. Once in a while we slaughtered a chicken or pig. We ate well. Dad was killed by a tree at 83, Mom is almost 93. Nothing premature here. Perhaps the industry should look elsewhere for the cause of premature death.
    Last edited by Caregiver; 03-13-2012 at 07:06 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Caregiver View Post
    From the OP

Sorry, I call BS. My parents raised angus cattle as a hobby. So they said. In reality, we were poor but had land from my grandparents. By raising beef, we could afford to eat. Eat we did, beef 6 days a week. A garden supplied our fruits and vegetables. Once in a while we slaughtered a chicken or pig. We ate well. Dad was killed by a tree at 83, Mom is almost 93. Nothing premature here. Perhaps the industry should look elsewhere for the cause of premature death.
    Ah, but back in the day much of the beef was devoid of all the little 'extras' that are now found in today's 'factory' produced products.
    From the pink slime (whatever that is), to antibiotics, growth hormones, and whatever else they're feeding these animals, we do see an increased risk of various diseases.

More than likely your grandparents raised 'clean' beef. That fact alone would more than likely make a big, big difference in health outcomes.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanna View Post
    Ah, but back in the day much of the beef was devoid of all the little 'extras' that are now found in today's 'factory' produced products.
    From the pink slime (whatever that is), to antibiotics, growth hormones, and whatever else they're feeding these animals, we do see an increased risk of various diseases.

More than likely your grandparents raised 'clean' beef. That fact alone would more than likely make a big, big difference in health outcomes.

Exactly! Another instance of Big Gov looking out for our best interest. Not! TPTB are only interested in lining their pockets. Greed, Evil Greed runs Deep.

Believing Big Brother is not good for anyone. The people need to go back to the basics. BTW, that would make us terrorists in their eyes for not walking the .gov line.

Quote Originally Posted by Caregiver View Post
    Exactly! Another instance of Big Gov looking out for our best interest. Not! TPTB are only interested in lining their pockets. Greed, Evil Greed runs Deep.

Believing Big Brother is not good for anyone. The people need to go back to the basics. BTW, that would make us terrorists in their eyes for not walking the .gov line.
    You got it brother.

http://www.laleva.org/eng/2012/03/wo...ase-print.html

World Renown Heart Surgeon Speaks Out On What Really Causes Heart Disease

PreventDisease.com
    March 1, 2012

We physicians with all our training, knowledge and authority often acquire a rather large ego that tends to make it difficult to admit we are wrong. So, here it is. I freely admit to being wrong. As a heart surgeon with 25 years experience, having performed over 5,000 open-heart surgeries,today is my day to right the wrong with medical and scientific fact.

I trained for many years with other prominent physicians labelled “opinion makers.” Bombarded with scientific literature, continually attending education seminars, we opinion makers insisted heart disease resulted from the simple fact of elevated blood cholesterol.

The only accepted therapy was prescribing medications to lower cholesterol and a diet that severely restricted fat intake. The latter of course we insisted would lower cholesterol and heart disease. Deviations from these recommendations were considered heresy and could quite possibly result in malpractice.