Thread: Make Your Own Sourdough Starter if you need to, why not?

Default Make Your Own Sourdough Starter if you need to, why not?

Ok so I loved that thread that told about the 1847 Sourdough Starter and yes, I did send for that. I got excited and didn't want to wait up to 6 weeks. I do so love sourdough bread.....

For those like me with not the patience to wait that long...yes, make your own sourdough starter, ready in 2 to 5 days....hurray! Mine is nearly ready and I will take pics and post them... I did it with my sons for a science project....

Here is a link with easy directions....

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Bread...ughStarter.htm
    As the sun sets over the water, the air is drenched with the nuances of honeysuckles mixed with other florals, roses plus pines and the waves kick up the deep water scents combined. It is my gift for a time to see this, through the windows of my realm....borrowed and quite treasured with every moment in time.

Have a lovely Day
    Romy
    Island Girl
    www.romysrealm.com
    www.kefirwellness.com
    www.romysrealm.blogspot.com

I made my own a few weeks ago, and it works just fine.
    I really like being able to make bread without relying on commercial yeast.
    The only drawback of sourdough type breads is the longer rise times. If your time is rationed, commercial yeast is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike L. View Post
    I made my own a few weeks ago, and it works just fine.
    I really like being able to make bread without relying on commercial yeast.
    The only drawback of sourdough type breads is the longer rise times. If your time is rationed, commercial yeast is fine.
    Thanks Mike, I will be sure to post how it goes for me tomorrow. :) I will be grinding fresh flour from wheat berries, adding some Flax seed also. My boys are so excited and hubby has been checking on that starter since I began...he is so intrigued! I live on Island time where taking your time is standard fare! The rising will be interesting to watch and the results are greatly anticipated! Grandma used to say "a watched pot never boils"...oh silly Bea....sure it does! LOL
    As the sun sets over the water, the air is drenched with the nuances of honeysuckles mixed with other florals, roses plus pines and the waves kick up the deep water scents combined. It is my gift for a time to see this, through the windows of my realm....borrowed and quite treasured with every moment in time.

Have a lovely Day
    Romy
    Island Girl
    www.romysrealm.com
    www.kefirwellness.com
    www.romysrealm.blogspot.com

I made a batch once just to see if I could. It actually worked quite well. Makes me feel good knowing that I will still be able to bake bread without having to buy commercial yeast.