Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunger Games - What's wrong with it?

Default Hunger Games - What's wrong with it?

Do you sense something is not quite right about the Hunger Games story? When I first heard about it, I was startled at the concept of putting young people into a position where they are killing off others in order to survive, among other things. Here's an interesting link:

http://www.crossroad.to/articles2/20...nger-games.htm

What do you guys think?

I was horrified to learn that was the storyline. However, I let my 16 yr old buy the book last night @ Costco. I'm going to read it myself. I'd love to hear what others say.
    ~Kate

Mary is the Mother of Jesus and the Mother of all of us even though it was Christ alone who reposed on her knees… If he is ours, we ought to be in his situation; there where he is, we ought also to be and all that he has ought to be ours, and his mother is also our mother. —Martin Luther, Christmas Sermon, 1529.

...All I can say is the time spent reading the link was a waste of my time.

After reading the link that you provided, I won't be going to see that movie.

BFC
    World War Three: "The Last Day". Fictional(?) depiction of an attack against Israel. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5T5CF1jhTg
    ----------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by NickTX View Post
    "When in doubt empty your magazine"
    ----------------------------------------------

"Stay in school, work hard, stay out of trouble and when you grow up, you can pay for those who didn't."

I did not go to the link but I did read the book. After I read it, I also let my 14 & 10 year old read it.

I thought the book was EXTREMELY well written and I thought the story line was great.

A good book to introduce a new generation to the tyranny of a big, central government.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. ...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
    C.S. Lewis

Okay, I couldn't resist so I went and read the article at the link.

They kind of did an okay job on the description. But they missed the whole point of why people love the book.

It's a classic Good against Evil, of keeping your integrity and morals even when others puts you in a horrible situation.

It's a story of leadership were one person has the guts to stand up for what is right and because of their humble, yet unbending leadership to do what is right, others follow.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. ...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
    C.S. Lewis

My daughter read the books (trilogy i believe) and described them to me.

She is extremely ticked off at her college English professor for telling her that it isn't worthy of a paper she wants to write.

There are so many themes and memes in this story that one could approach it from any number of angles.

The bottom line is that it shows tyranny, resistance to tyranny, and the consequences of a tyrannical gooberment run amuck and that even then resistance will occur.

just like the bush wookie telling kids what they have to have at school lunches.

The kids, being kids and wiser than the bush wookie, just start bringing what they want from home.

the smart entrepreneurs take the rebellion a step further and sell the "junk food and drinks" out of their back packs, supplying the demand and making money like any other free person will.

Sometimes we think that today's kids will not perform, but when pressed where it gets their attention, kids rebel and find a solution.

The tighter a tyrants hands grasp at freedom, the more it slips through their fingers.
    Dosadi

III

These are excellent books for youth to get a glimpse of how controlling governement can be. The reason that the young people have to fight each other to the death is because it is mandated by the government as a way of showing them who's in control.

I've read them, my fourteen year old has read them and my eleven year old has read them. I just hope the movie stays true to the book.

Default I'm so glad that you asked, Labby..........

Labby, my friend........I was going to post about "The Hunger Games",
    because my heart is so heavy right now, due to parents allowing
    their children to read these books and even see the movie.....many
    of the parents actually taking them to see it. And many teachers pushing
    this secular film on their students.

Here are a couple of articles I think every parent should read before
    they make a decision on whether their child should see this film:

http://www.movieguide.org/reviews/mo...ger-games.html

Summary:

THE HUNGER GAMES portrays a futuristic world that throws its children and teenagers into a large but confined area to kill each other as the society watches for entertainment. THE HUNGER GAMES has a strong humanist worldview with violence that no child should see, so it’s unacceptable viewing that media-wise parents probably will want to forbid their children to see.

THE HUNGER GAMES is a dark movie where viewers literally watch children kill each other in bloody fashion. With its humanist worldview, THE HUNGER GAMES has no depiction of God or the supernatural world. It’s all up to the movie’s heroine to win the game, but she has to lie and hurt other people to win. Based on a popular book, THE HUNGER GAMES is a science fiction thriller with a big budget. That means even more young people will see it. THE HUNGER GAMES is one movie that parents might want their children to avoid.

Now for a real eye-opener......read this article:

http://worldviewweekend.com/worldvie...articleid=8122
    "Hunger Games"
    The Orwellian Theme Behind the Movie
    "The techniques of brainwashing developed in totalitarian countries are routinely used in psychological conditioning programs imposed on American school children. These include emotional shock and desensitization... isolation from sources of support [parents], stripping away defenses... and inducing acceptance of alternative values..."[1] Thomas Sowell, PhD.

t reminds me of a statement in the book, Amusing Ourselves to Death, by Neil Postman who anticipated today's rise of Marxist values. To illustrate mental manipulation, he compared two familiar books: Aldous Huxley's Brave New World and George Orwell's 1984:
    "Orwell feared we would become a captive culture. Huxley feared we would become a trivial culture, preoccupied with some equivalent of the feelies.... [In 1984] people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we hate will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we love will ruin us."[9]
    Both have a point. Today, the cultural war against Christ and His Church is being waged on both fronts. The minds of most contemporary teens are bombarded with seductive images and suggestions that mock God's values and scorn Christianity.
    "...the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light..." John 3:19

(More information in the articles at the links)

Hubby and I saw the movie. He read all 3 books and couldn't put them down. I started reading the first book on the way to see the movie.

I would recommend reading the books before seeing the movie because the book gives you more insight. The movie was very good, very well done.

I think the books should be required reading in public schools. The books teach kids the dangers of an out-of-control tyrannical government, moral and personal responsibility, and critical thinking, just to name a few things.

The only thing I didn't like about the movie was the fact that I can see our country going down the same path and that was depressing. We have to teach our children and grandchildren now of the importance of freedom and the need to protect and preserve it. If we lose freedom in America, we will never get it back.

I viewed the movie from a different angle. I removed the children and replaced them with Jews, Christians, African-Americans, Native Americans, and all people who have been oppressed and persecuted. This is just history repeating itself. If we don't teach our children about the dangers of intolerance toward another person's race or religion, we are doomed to keep repeating history over and over.

Now I bring the children back in the picture. All we have to do is watch the news and see school shootings, gang violence, and mothers sending their children off to war. Children are not immune to violence. Maybe we should stop protecting them by banning any words in school that might be politically incorrect or offend their delicate senses. Maybe we should remove their violent video games and TV shows and teach them how to survive in the real world.
    Revelation 22:20 He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus.